It’s hard to consider yourself a sophisticated movie viewer when you’re watching the great Toshiro Mifune tromp around in Akira Kurosawa’s celebrated take on ”Macbeth” and thinking ”Gee, this really feels like ‘Star Wars’.” But maybe that’s a testament to the impact and longevity of the Japanese master’s vision. Deriving as much from the traditional Noh theater style as from Shakespeare, ”Blood” employs Kurosawa’s usual slate of trickery – wipes, cunning production design, inventively choreographed battle sequences. Like those in ”The Hidden Fortress,” the more direct blueprint for the Skywalker saga, such techniques have inspired the likes of George Lucas just as they were influenced by the likes of John Ford. Although the disc is short on extras, a commentary track by scholar Michael Jeck does a nice job of fleshing out the craftsmanship and back story behind each shot. Also clever are two sets of subtitles, each translated by a different Japanese linguist. Thus, for example, one line alternately reads as ”I will paint the entire forest!” and ”A deluge of blood shall stain these woods crimson.” Sounds like something Darth Vader might say.
Throne of Blood: Criterion CollectionIt's hard to consider yourself a sophisticated movie viewer when you're watching the great Toshiro Mifune tromp around in Akira Kurosawa's celebrated...Throne of Blood: Criterion CollectionUnratedIt's hard to consider yourself a sophisticated movie viewer when you're watching the great Toshiro Mifune tromp around in Akira Kurosawa's celebrated...2003-05-30
(Throne Of Blood: Everett Collection)
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted May 30 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The slow, curious fade of the male pop star
- Final 'Dexter' book says farewell to serial killer Dexter Morgan
- Kel Mitchell talks return to Nickelodeon this fall in 'Game Shakers'
- Kevin Bacon, Neil Marshall, and the other Thor to attend Fantasia 2015
- Tatiana Maslany, Haley Joel Osment among cast for 'Locke & Key' audiobook
- Here's your best look yet at the very cool 'No Man's Sky'
- Bruce Campbell rides THAT '73 Delta 88 in 'Ash vs Evil Dead': New EW exclusive images
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!