Can a master of sauerbraten pull off a linzer torte? Not really, but it’s great fun to watch The Emperor Waltz writer-director Billy Wilder (with scripting partner Charles Brackett) try his hand at an Ernst Lubitsch-esque slice of Technicolored musical frippery. You won’t always believe Joan Fontaine’s Austrian countess could find Bing Crosby’s brash but droopy-eyed gramophone salesman sexy (they banter naughtily as their respectively highborn and lowborn pet pooches get it on), but even a half-baked Wilder-Brackett pastry is worth savoring. Bonus: It’s double-billed on this new DVD edition with Crosby’s crooning in ”A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court.”
The Emperor WaltzCan a master of sauerbraten pull off a linzer torte? Not really, but it's great fun to watch The Emperor Waltz writer-director Billy Wilder (with...The Emperor WaltzMusical, RomanceCan a master of sauerbraten pull off a linzer torte? Not really, but it's great fun to watch The Emperor Waltz writer-director Billy Wilder (with...2003-06-06
(The Emperor Waltz: Kobal Collection)
Genre: Musical, Romance; Starring: Bing Crosby, Joan Fontaine; Director: Billy Wilder
Posted June 6 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'We Are Your Friends' had one of the worst openings in history
- Details on the 'AHS: Hotel' Halloween episodes with Lily Rabe and Darren Criss
- 'Hannibal' finale review: A perversely romantic, totally satisfying last supper
- Caitlyn Jenner on the realities of dating as a transgender woman
- See how 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' created 'The Twins'
- Nick Jonas passionately lip-synced to ‘Let It Go’ at Demi Lovato’s pre-VMAs concert
- Vin Diesel teases a sequel to 'The Iron Giant'
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!