Can a master of sauerbraten pull off a linzer torte? Not really, but it’s great fun to watch The Emperor Waltz writer-director Billy Wilder (with scripting partner Charles Brackett) try his hand at an Ernst Lubitsch-esque slice of Technicolored musical frippery. You won’t always believe Joan Fontaine’s Austrian countess could find Bing Crosby’s brash but droopy-eyed gramophone salesman sexy (they banter naughtily as their respectively highborn and lowborn pet pooches get it on), but even a half-baked Wilder-Brackett pastry is worth savoring. Bonus: It’s double-billed on this new DVD edition with Crosby’s crooning in ”A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court.”
The Emperor WaltzCan a master of sauerbraten pull off a linzer torte? Not really, but it's great fun to watch The Emperor Waltz writer-director Billy Wilder (with...The Emperor WaltzMusical, RomanceCan a master of sauerbraten pull off a linzer torte? Not really, but it's great fun to watch The Emperor Waltz writer-director Billy Wilder (with...2003-06-06
(The Emperor Waltz: Kobal Collection)
Genre: Musical, Romance; Starring: Bing Crosby, Joan Fontaine; Director: Billy Wilder
Posted June 6 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Wayward Pines' exec producer Chad Hodge's post-show dish: Why (SPOILER) had to die
- Casting Net: Gabrielle Union heading to Jamie Foxx action film 'Sleepless Night'
- 'The View' eyeing two new cohosts?
- 'The Help' director Tate Taylor to helm 'Girl on the Train'
- Pete Davidson live tweets his 'Harry Potter' marathon, gives 'dope as f---' review
- Reese Witherspoon as Tinker Bell: Disney developing 'Peter Pan' spinoff 'Tink'
- Molest claim vs. Josh Duggar; family says...
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Taylor Schilling, Jessica Alba, Beyoncé & More!