Can a master of sauerbraten pull off a linzer torte? Not really, but it’s great fun to watch The Emperor Waltz writer-director Billy Wilder (with scripting partner Charles Brackett) try his hand at an Ernst Lubitsch-esque slice of Technicolored musical frippery. You won’t always believe Joan Fontaine’s Austrian countess could find Bing Crosby’s brash but droopy-eyed gramophone salesman sexy (they banter naughtily as their respectively highborn and lowborn pet pooches get it on), but even a half-baked Wilder-Brackett pastry is worth savoring. Bonus: It’s double-billed on this new DVD edition with Crosby’s crooning in ”A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court.”
The Emperor WaltzCan a master of sauerbraten pull off a linzer torte? Not really, but it's great fun to watch The Emperor Waltz writer-director Billy Wilder (with...The Emperor WaltzMusical, RomanceCan a master of sauerbraten pull off a linzer torte? Not really, but it's great fun to watch The Emperor Waltz writer-director Billy Wilder (with...2003-06-06
(The Emperor Waltz: Kobal Collection)
Genre: Musical, Romance; Starring: Bing Crosby, Joan Fontaine; Director: Billy Wilder
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Outlander' postmortem: EP Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on sexy, surreal season premiere
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany on season premiere choking and spanking
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!