Ramu (Jimi Mistry), a ”Grease”-loving dance instructor who moves from India to New York City to become an actor, finds his dreams sullied after he lands his first role – as the star of a porn feature. Fortunately for him, he’s an XXX flop; he finds his calling, however, as ”the guru of sex,” with a little help from an adult-film starlet (Heather Graham) and a spoiled dabbler in Eastern mysticism (Marisa Tomei). Punctuated by exuberant Bollywood-style musical numbers, the featherweight farce succeeds as silly, funny fluff thanks to Tracey Jackson’s witty script, and to winning comic turns by the cast (which also includes Michael McKean and Christine Baranski).
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Heather Graham, Jimi Mistry, Marisa Tomei, Christine Baranski, Dwight Ewell, Michael McKean, Rob Morrow; Director: Daisy von Scherler Mayer; Author: Tracey Jackson; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted June 6 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!