Ramu (Jimi Mistry), a ”Grease”-loving dance instructor who moves from India to New York City to become an actor, finds his dreams sullied after he lands his first role – as the star of a porn feature. Fortunately for him, he’s an XXX flop; he finds his calling, however, as ”the guru of sex,” with a little help from an adult-film starlet (Heather Graham) and a spoiled dabbler in Eastern mysticism (Marisa Tomei). Punctuated by exuberant Bollywood-style musical numbers, the featherweight farce succeeds as silly, funny fluff thanks to Tracey Jackson’s witty script, and to winning comic turns by the cast (which also includes Michael McKean and Christine Baranski).
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Heather Graham, Jimi Mistry, Marisa Tomei, Christine Baranski, Dwight Ewell, Michael McKean, Rob Morrow; Director: Daisy von Scherler Mayer; Author: Tracey Jackson; Release Date Limited: 01/31/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted June 6 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Alec Baldwin calls out brother Stephen during 'SNL' debate cold open
- Benedict Cumberbatch to host final 'SNL' before election
- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg set to perform in an opera
- 'Ghostbusters' director gets 'choked up' by supportive fans
- Miley Cyrus storms Virginia college to campaign for Hillary Clinton
- Lauryn Hill gives powerful performance of 'Rebel' on 'Charlie Rose'
- 'Jessica Jones' season 2: Showrunner promises all-female directors