Great electronic music compilations–ones that don’t just catalog a subgenre or reproduce a DJ’s club set but also march to their own aesthetic drummer–are rare. Last year saw Friends, a sumptuous set of warm, laptop-fractured “microhouse” beats with a touch of vocals, from the German Kompakt label. Tryouts is this year’s one to beat, a set from the young Michigan-based Ghostly International crew that comes with a grittier techno-soul vibe, more Detroit than Cologne. Hip-hop impressionist Dabrye, a cohort of like-minded beatmeister Prefuse 73, flips old-school synth stabs and Gigantor hand claps into a mod R&B bubble bath; Kill Memory Crash build a Teutonic-robotic Jonzun Crew; and Dykehouse’s “Map Ref. 41 N 93 W” is a prog-pop masterstroke that dares a sing-along chorus. RESPECT YOUR ELDERS Outputmessage’s “Bernard’s Song” sounds like a wordless shout-out to Bernard Sumner of New Order, whose recent boxed set is mandatory listening for tune-poor dance-music makers.
Idol Tryouts: Ghostly International Vol. 1Great electronic music compilations--ones that don't just catalog a subgenre or reproduce a DJ's club set but also march to their own aesthetic drummer-...Idol Tryouts: Ghostly International Vol. 1ElectronicGreat electronic music compilations--ones that don't just catalog a subgenre or reproduce a DJ's club set but also march to their own aesthetic drummer-...2003-06-06
Genre: Electronic; Lead Performer: Various Artists; Producer (group): Ghostly International
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- New 'Fantastic Four' trailer has hints of Doom
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!