A world without the Beatles is a grim place, especially if your name is John Lennon. In the alternate universe of Larry Kirwan’s novel LIVERPOOL FANTASY (Thunder’s Mouth, $14.95), the band disintegrates in 1962, and, a quarter century later, John is Liverpool’s town drunk, bitter both about his hangovers – ”dawn snuck through a tear in the curtain and threw up all over the ducks on the wall” – and his former writing partner’s success under the nom de schmaltz Paul Montana. Meanwhile, Father George Harrison, S.J., has some grave doubts about his career, and only Ringo has much dignity – if the word is not too grandiose to apply to the drummer for Gerry and the Pacemakers. Oh, and the U.K. is overrun by the right-wing National Front. Perhaps you have an inkling that the band will reunite for a misty-eyed gig in an endearingly dank pub. Perhaps you sense that some speculative musings precede the climax (John: ”I know this is way beyond you, but we could have changed the bloody world”). You’re right, and if this novel were merely about the Four, then it would be far from fab. But Kirwan, a playwright and the frontman for the band Black 47, spins it as a realist tale of friendships neglected and dreams deferred, featuring shockingly credible versions of personas you know and love. Only Mean Mr. Mustard could sneer.
Liverpool Fantasy A world without the Beatles is a grim place, especially if your name is John Lennon. In the alternate universe of Larry Kirwan's novel LIVERPOOL...Liverpool FantasyFictionLarry Kirwan A world without the Beatles is a grim place, especially if your name is John Lennon. In the alternate universe of Larry Kirwan's novel LIVERPOOL...2003-06-06
Genre: Fiction; Author: Larry Kirwan
Posted June 6 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!