Director Reggie Rock Bythewood zooms in on California’s urban-biker culture and winds up unearthing an even less heralded scene: struggling black Hollywood. Larenz Tate, Eriq La Salle, Terrence Howard, and a half-dozen other stalwarts stud an almost-star cast headed by Fishburne as a big bad street racer pitted against a young upstart (Antwone Fisher’s Luke). Like The Fast and the Furious, it’s a ride-or-die flick r-r-ripped from the headlines. Unfortunately, real action has curves, and these boyz race in straight lines as predictable as the film’s sole plot twist.
Genre: Drama, Sports; Starring: Laurence Fishburne, Brendan Fehr, Orlando Jones, Derek Luke; Guest Performer: Kid Rock; Director: Reggie Rock Bythewood; Author: Reggie Rock Bythewood, Craig Fernandez, Michael Gougis; Release Date Wide: 01/31/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 111; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted June 13 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Second 'Big Brother: Over the Top' evictee talks house divide
- Robert Redford, Casey Affleck to star in 'The Old Man and the Gun'
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Blacklist,' 'Arrow,' more
- President Obama names his favorite rappers
- Watch Eddie Redmayne show Benedict Cumberbatch a magic trick
- Chris Hemsworth pledges support for Dakota Access Pipeline protest
- Jake Johnson says he's not in the 'Jurassic World' sequel