Why can’t Hollywood deliver us from predominantly black films full of beauty-salon scenes with women talking out of their necks, making facial contortions, and overusing the word baby? Director Gary Hardwick’s stereotypical reworking of Taming of the Shrew follows Eva (an enchanting Union) as she sabotages her sisters’ relationships because of her issues with men. Enter Ray (LL Cool J), a playboy hired to do the, um, taming. A similar update, 1999’s 10 Things I Hate About You looks like Shakespeare compared with Hardwick’s embarrassing film, and doesn’t insult its core audience in the same way.
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: LL Cool J, Gabrielle Union, Essence Atkins, Meagan Good, Robinne Lee, Duane Martin; Director: Gary Hardwick; Author: Barbara Brauner, Gary Hardwick, James Iver Mattson; Release Date Wide: 02/07/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted June 13 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!