Why can’t Hollywood deliver us from predominantly black films full of beauty-salon scenes with women talking out of their necks, making facial contortions, and overusing the word baby? Director Gary Hardwick’s stereotypical reworking of Taming of the Shrew follows Eva (an enchanting Union) as she sabotages her sisters’ relationships because of her issues with men. Enter Ray (LL Cool J), a playboy hired to do the, um, taming. A similar update, 1999’s 10 Things I Hate About You looks like Shakespeare compared with Hardwick’s embarrassing film, and doesn’t insult its core audience in the same way.
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: LL Cool J, Gabrielle Union, Essence Atkins, Meagan Good, Robinne Lee, Duane Martin; Director: Gary Hardwick; Author: Barbara Brauner, Gary Hardwick, James Iver Mattson; Release Date Wide: 02/07/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted June 13 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Carly Simon and Stephen Colbert duet on 'Mockingbird'
- Wayne Coyne reveals details about the Flaming Lips' over-the-top tour with Miley Cyrus
- 'Being Mary Jane' postmortem: Behind Mark's surprising decision, and what's next
- The first 'Captain America: Civil War' trailer has arrived
- Adele performs 'Hello' with Jimmy Fallon, The Roots, and classroom instruments
- 'Dancing With the Stars': And the winner is...
- Len Goodman is coming back to 'DWTS'