Why can’t Hollywood deliver us from predominantly black films full of beauty-salon scenes with women talking out of their necks, making facial contortions, and overusing the word baby? Director Gary Hardwick’s stereotypical reworking of Taming of the Shrew follows Eva (an enchanting Union) as she sabotages her sisters’ relationships because of her issues with men. Enter Ray (LL Cool J), a playboy hired to do the, um, taming. A similar update, 1999’s 10 Things I Hate About You looks like Shakespeare compared with Hardwick’s embarrassing film, and doesn’t insult its core audience in the same way.
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: LL Cool J, Gabrielle Union, Essence Atkins, Meagan Good, Robinne Lee, Duane Martin; Director: Gary Hardwick; Author: Barbara Brauner, Gary Hardwick, James Iver Mattson; Release Date Wide: 02/07/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted June 13 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!