Why can’t Hollywood deliver us from predominantly black films full of beauty-salon scenes with women talking out of their necks, making facial contortions, and overusing the word baby? Director Gary Hardwick’s stereotypical reworking of Taming of the Shrew follows Eva (an enchanting Union) as she sabotages her sisters’ relationships because of her issues with men. Enter Ray (LL Cool J), a playboy hired to do the, um, taming. A similar update, 1999’s 10 Things I Hate About You looks like Shakespeare compared with Hardwick’s embarrassing film, and doesn’t insult its core audience in the same way.
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: LL Cool J, Gabrielle Union, Essence Atkins, Meagan Good, Robinne Lee, Duane Martin; Director: Gary Hardwick; Author: Barbara Brauner, Gary Hardwick, James Iver Mattson; Release Date Wide: 02/07/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted June 13 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Deadpool' screenwriters 'trying to get a jump on' sequel
- Martin Shkreli wants to be the sole owner of Kanye West's new album
- See a preview of Kanye West's videogame, about his mother going to heaven
- Box office preview: 'Deadpool' to demolish 'Zoolander 2,' 'How To Be Single'
- Kanye West raps that he 'might still have sex' with Taylor Swift
- 'Destiny' sequel expected in 2017, major expansion coming this year
- AMC orders late-night talk show from Kevin Smith, Greg Grunberg
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996