Why can’t Hollywood deliver us from predominantly black films full of beauty-salon scenes with women talking out of their necks, making facial contortions, and overusing the word baby? Director Gary Hardwick’s stereotypical reworking of Taming of the Shrew follows Eva (an enchanting Union) as she sabotages her sisters’ relationships because of her issues with men. Enter Ray (LL Cool J), a playboy hired to do the, um, taming. A similar update, 1999’s 10 Things I Hate About You looks like Shakespeare compared with Hardwick’s embarrassing film, and doesn’t insult its core audience in the same way.
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: LL Cool J, Gabrielle Union, Essence Atkins, Meagan Good, Robinne Lee, Duane Martin; Director: Gary Hardwick; Author: Barbara Brauner, Gary Hardwick, James Iver Mattson; Release Date Wide: 02/07/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Casting Net: 'TMNT 2' adds Brian Tee as bad guy Shredder
- 'Osbournes' won't reboot at VH1
- 'Chicago Fire/PD,' 'SVU' bosses on fatal crossover event
- Viola Davis will play Harriet Tubman in HBO movie
- Indie director Adam Wingard to tackle 'Death Note'
- Behold, Joe Manganiello's 'Magic Mike XXL' poster revealed
- Hailee Steinfeld cast to star in 'Break My Heart 1,000 Times' film adaptation