‘I knew I was getting somewhere with the drinking when the superpowers started kicking in.’ From that opening sentence–patterned after that of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas–Spiegelman’s first novel shapes up as a pastiche of lit lit. The story may be about Leon Koch, a 23-year-old wastoid getting numb on booze, coke, and then some more booze in Bayside, Queens, but the book is mostly a mood piece evoking Frederick Exley, Bret Easton Ellis, Charles Bukowski, Arthur Rimbaud, and the tightest Hemingway. The tingling astringency of Spiegelman’s sentences bodes well for his future but cannot disguise this work’s essential plotlessness, its gratuitous excesses (the hallucinations, the analingus), or the overwhelming dullness of getting subhumanly wrecked night after night.
Everyone's Burning 'I knew I was getting somewhere with the drinking when the superpowers started kicking in.' From that opening sentence--patterned after that of Fear...Everyone's BurningFictionIan Spiegelman 'I knew I was getting somewhere with the drinking when the superpowers started kicking in.' From that opening sentence--patterned after that of Fear...2003-06-13Villard Books
Genre: Fiction; Author: Ian Spiegelman; Publisher: Villard Books
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- NBC orders Ellen DeGeneres-produced reality series 'First Dates'
- Downton Abbey producer explains why the series had to end
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Jim Parsons talks animated film debut, co-star Rihanna and his hometown
- 'Game of Thrones,' 'SHIELD,' 'Arrow,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Gone Girl writer Gillian Flynn to collaborate with Steve McQueen on heist thriller
- 'Sherlock' season 4: 'Frightening, tough, emotional upheaval'
- 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone' illustrated edition cover art revealed
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!