The worst you can say about Steely Dan is that, with their familiar, almost hermetically sealed signature sound, they’ve turned into sheer comfort food for the 50ish executive crowd. And maybe the best you can sayand it’s a lot is that this comfort food remains peculiarly discomforting. Reassuring horn charts, in-the-pocket grooves, and maternal female vocals aside, Everything Must Go is about as fatalistic as the downwardly mobile, downwardly mortal title suggests. Offering lyrical nervousness and musical Novocain in equal shots, it’s another installment of Chicken Soup for the Materialistic, Mildly Perverse, Apocalypse-Dreading Soul. Real sentiment occasionally rears its ugly head, as in “Things I Miss the Most,” but even in that sad-sack scenario, memories of “the talk, the sex, somebody to trust” give way to postdivorce lamentations about “the Audi TT, the house on the Vineyard…the comfy Eames chair.” Things get less gooey from there. It’s safe to say no one else milking nostalgia on the summer amphitheater circuit will be fronting new material as wildly funny as “Godwhacker,” the violent ramblings of a mercenary out to assassinate the Almighty; “Lunch With Gina,” a cautionary tale about a stalker girlfriend (or wife); and “Pixeleen,” which contrasts Lara Croft imagery with a game-playing Jersey girl’s mundane life. Only Becker and Fagen could veer from “Our man Abu squeezes off twenty tracer rounds” to “Her cell phone rings/It’s, like, her stupid father” in a single bound.
Everything Must GoThe worst you can say about Steely Dan is that, with their familiar, almost hermetically sealed signature sound, they've turned into sheer comfort food...Everything Must GoRockThe worst you can say about Steely Dan is that, with their familiar, almost hermetically sealed signature sound, they've turned into sheer comfort food...2003-06-13
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Warner Bros.
Posted June 13 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 50 Songs for 50 States: EW's favorite patriotic pop through the years
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Q's about Jace, Audrey, and a twist
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay won't direct Marvel film
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Eddie Redmayne, Eva Longoria, Flo Rida & More!