The worst you can say about Steely Dan is that, with their familiar, almost hermetically sealed signature sound, they’ve turned into sheer comfort food for the 50ish executive crowd. And maybe the best you can sayand it’s a lot is that this comfort food remains peculiarly discomforting. Reassuring horn charts, in-the-pocket grooves, and maternal female vocals aside, Everything Must Go is about as fatalistic as the downwardly mobile, downwardly mortal title suggests. Offering lyrical nervousness and musical Novocain in equal shots, it’s another installment of Chicken Soup for the Materialistic, Mildly Perverse, Apocalypse-Dreading Soul. Real sentiment occasionally rears its ugly head, as in “Things I Miss the Most,” but even in that sad-sack scenario, memories of “the talk, the sex, somebody to trust” give way to postdivorce lamentations about “the Audi TT, the house on the Vineyard…the comfy Eames chair.” Things get less gooey from there. It’s safe to say no one else milking nostalgia on the summer amphitheater circuit will be fronting new material as wildly funny as “Godwhacker,” the violent ramblings of a mercenary out to assassinate the Almighty; “Lunch With Gina,” a cautionary tale about a stalker girlfriend (or wife); and “Pixeleen,” which contrasts Lara Croft imagery with a game-playing Jersey girl’s mundane life. Only Becker and Fagen could veer from “Our man Abu squeezes off twenty tracer rounds” to “Her cell phone rings/It’s, like, her stupid father” in a single bound.
Everything Must GoThe worst you can say about Steely Dan is that, with their familiar, almost hermetically sealed signature sound, they've turned into sheer comfort food...Everything Must GoRockThe worst you can say about Steely Dan is that, with their familiar, almost hermetically sealed signature sound, they've turned into sheer comfort food...2003-06-13
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Warner Bros.
Posted June 13 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scandal' stars are back to work on season 6
- Eva Longoria dings Donald Trump at DNC: 'My father is not a rapist'
- 'Bachelorette': Wells gives 'spirited' episode recap on Snapchat
- Michelle Obama hits back at Donald Trump in powerful DNC speech
- Shannen Doherty shares breast cancer update after shaving head
- Paul Simon performs 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' at DNC
- Sarah Silverman to Bernie Sanders holdouts: 'You're being ridiculous'
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels