The worst you can say about Steely Dan is that, with their familiar, almost hermetically sealed signature sound, they’ve turned into sheer comfort food for the 50ish executive crowd. And maybe the best you can sayand it’s a lot is that this comfort food remains peculiarly discomforting. Reassuring horn charts, in-the-pocket grooves, and maternal female vocals aside, Everything Must Go is about as fatalistic as the downwardly mobile, downwardly mortal title suggests. Offering lyrical nervousness and musical Novocain in equal shots, it’s another installment of Chicken Soup for the Materialistic, Mildly Perverse, Apocalypse-Dreading Soul. Real sentiment occasionally rears its ugly head, as in “Things I Miss the Most,” but even in that sad-sack scenario, memories of “the talk, the sex, somebody to trust” give way to postdivorce lamentations about “the Audi TT, the house on the Vineyard…the comfy Eames chair.” Things get less gooey from there. It’s safe to say no one else milking nostalgia on the summer amphitheater circuit will be fronting new material as wildly funny as “Godwhacker,” the violent ramblings of a mercenary out to assassinate the Almighty; “Lunch With Gina,” a cautionary tale about a stalker girlfriend (or wife); and “Pixeleen,” which contrasts Lara Croft imagery with a game-playing Jersey girl’s mundane life. Only Becker and Fagen could veer from “Our man Abu squeezes off twenty tracer rounds” to “Her cell phone rings/It’s, like, her stupid father” in a single bound.
Everything Must GoThe worst you can say about Steely Dan is that, with their familiar, almost hermetically sealed signature sound, they've turned into sheer comfort food...Everything Must GoRockThe worst you can say about Steely Dan is that, with their familiar, almost hermetically sealed signature sound, they've turned into sheer comfort food...2003-06-13
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' showrunner Scott M. Gimple teases NEXT season
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake accepts iHeart Radio Innovator Award, recalls when 'they called me weird'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time': Inside ID of Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!