Although Disney’s animated Jungle Book follow-up opens with a charming shadow-puppet synopsis of the 1967 original, it soon takes an unsatisfying turn. After Mowgli (Osment) leaves his village for the jungle and his bear buddy, Baloo (Goodman), the film becomes just a rote rehash of its predecessor, with oh-so-similar appearances by the hypnotizing snake Kaa and the ominous Shere Khan, as well as some barely adequate musical numbers. The only alteration is a flimsy friendship between the man-cub and his new gal pal–and that doesn’t justify a sequel.
Genre: Animation, Kids and Family, Comedy; Starring: John Goodman, Haley Joel Osment, Phil Collins, Tony Jay, Jim Cummings; Director: Steven Trenbirth; Author: Karl Geurs; Release Date Wide: 02/14/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 72; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted June 13 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- Katy Perry's Left Shark returns for Shark Week
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!