Although Disney’s animated Jungle Book follow-up opens with a charming shadow-puppet synopsis of the 1967 original, it soon takes an unsatisfying turn. After Mowgli (Osment) leaves his village for the jungle and his bear buddy, Baloo (Goodman), the film becomes just a rote rehash of its predecessor, with oh-so-similar appearances by the hypnotizing snake Kaa and the ominous Shere Khan, as well as some barely adequate musical numbers. The only alteration is a flimsy friendship between the man-cub and his new gal pal–and that doesn’t justify a sequel.
Genre: Animation, Kids and Family, Comedy; Starring: John Goodman, Haley Joel Osment, Phil Collins, Tony Jay, Jim Cummings; Director: Steven Trenbirth; Author: Karl Geurs; Release Date Wide: 02/14/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 72; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted June 13 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mireille Enos is heading to Shondaland
- The EW Guide to Music Festival Season 2015
- AOL launches digital series 'Connected' on March 31
- 'Sound of Music' turns 50: Let's rank the Von Trapp children
- George Takei salutes Leonard Nimoy: 'the most human person I've ever met'
- On the Books: 'Divergent' author Veronica Roth signs two-book deal with HarperCollins