The raunchy tale of three grown men regressing to their fraternity days – the unrated version is raunchy-plus, with bonus seconds of bare breasts – is a well-worn homage to old-school ”SNL”-alum comedies (complete with a ”Stripes”-ish topless K-Y wrestling match and countless ”Animal House” allusions), and cast with actors who rehash their most practiced personas (Vince Vaughn: smugly manipulative; Will Ferrell: earnestly blank-eyed). In theaters, the spotty outrageousness was never quite as funny as you’d hoped, but when seen at home on your couch, its familiarity makes ”Old School” just as funny as it needs to be.
(Old School: Darren Michaels)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, Luke Wilson, Elisha Cuthbert, Andy Dick, Craig Kilborn, Artie Lange, Juliette Lewis, Jeremy Piven, Ellen Pompeo, Leah Remini, Seann William Scott; Director: Todd Phillips; Author: Court Crandall, Todd Phillips; Release Date Wide: 02/21/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 91; MPAA Rating: R
Posted June 13 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Justin Timberlake is still doing the Carlton at golf tournaments
- 'The Magicians' season 2: See the premiere's first scene
- Comic-Con: See photos from the Harley Quinn costume contest
- 16 can't-miss Comic-Con Boomerangs from EW's Instagram account
- '24: Legacy' exists in same Jack Bauer universe
- 'Sherlock' Comic-Con panel reveals three key names to tease season 4
- Miles Teller joins Keith Urban onstage for 'My Girl'