Despite her last name, the deserved Booker Prize winner’s literary reputation hasn’t exactly been built on her humor or pep. Rather, her gifts lie in exploring quiet characters who engage almost entirely in internal dialogues. In her latest novel, the structure–one hesitates to say plot–revolves around a college professor who discovers a photograph of his beautiful, flighty wife, Kath, with another man. Kath also happens to be dead, which makes her a perfect obsession for the other characters drawn into the drama. As told from the perspectives of Kath’s ex-lover, sister, niece, and friends, The Photograph offers an unflinching meditation on marriage and family.
The PhotographDespite her last name, the deserved Booker Prize winner's literary reputation hasn't exactly been built on her humor or pep. Rather, her gifts lie in...The PhotographFictionPenelope LivelyDespite her last name, the deserved Booker Prize winner's literary reputation hasn't exactly been built on her humor or pep. Rather, her gifts lie in...2003-06-13Viking
Genre: Fiction; Author: Penelope Lively; Publisher: Viking
Posted June 13 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stephen Colbert counters Jeb Bush's 'Late Show' raffle with his own contest
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- Dean Jones, The Love Bug and That Darn Cat actor, dies at 84
- 'Wildest Dreams' director responds to allegations of colonialism in Taylor Swift video
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!