Despite her last name, the deserved Booker Prize winner’s literary reputation hasn’t exactly been built on her humor or pep. Rather, her gifts lie in exploring quiet characters who engage almost entirely in internal dialogues. In her latest novel, the structure–one hesitates to say plot–revolves around a college professor who discovers a photograph of his beautiful, flighty wife, Kath, with another man. Kath also happens to be dead, which makes her a perfect obsession for the other characters drawn into the drama. As told from the perspectives of Kath’s ex-lover, sister, niece, and friends, The Photograph offers an unflinching meditation on marriage and family.
The PhotographDespite her last name, the deserved Booker Prize winner's literary reputation hasn't exactly been built on her humor or pep. Rather, her gifts lie in...The PhotographFictionPenelope LivelyDespite her last name, the deserved Booker Prize winner's literary reputation hasn't exactly been built on her humor or pep. Rather, her gifts lie in...2003-06-13Viking
Genre: Fiction; Author: Penelope Lively; Publisher: Viking
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead': Lennie James explains Morgan's backstory
- 'Daredevil': 5 new character posters from Marvel's first Netflix show
- Eric Church, Kacey Musgraves to headline Willie Nelson's 4th of July picnic
- 'The Wiz' is NBC's next live musical, partnering with Cirque du Soleil
- 'Shadowhunters' gets series order from ABC Family
- 'Walking Dead': Its most-watched finale
- 'The Flash' boss debunks one theory
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!