Whether it’s a homeless drunk who tries to get his grandmother’s powwow-dance regalia out of a pawnshop or a young mother who sings to her comatose baby while using an enormous vibrator as backup music, the subjects of these nine stories are passionate in their odd pursuits. Alexie, who wrote the 1998 film Smoke Signals, is an established chronicler of the rituals and ruptures of modern Native American life, but his eye for hard truths transcends any ethnic pigeonholing. While ‘Can I Get a Witness?’ is a rambling clunker, the rest of the tales offer a disarming mix of reverence, sacrilege, off-kilter humor, and pathos. In ‘Flight Patterns,’ an Ethiopian fighter pilot-turned-cabbie and an upwardly mobile Spokane salesman trade stories and chuckle, ‘The contradictions are the story, yes?’ Yes.
Ten Little Indians Whether it's a homeless drunk who tries to get his grandmother's powwow-dance regalia out of a pawnshop or a young mother who sings to her comatose...Ten Little IndiansFictionSherman Alexie Whether it's a homeless drunk who tries to get his grandmother's powwow-dance regalia out of a pawnshop or a young mother who sings to her comatose...2003-06-13
Genre: Fiction; Author: Sherman Alexie
Posted June 13 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Chris Messina in talks to join Ben Affleck's Live By Night
- Minions clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- Watch Tom Bergeron discover his fancy roots on 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!