Whether it’s a homeless drunk who tries to get his grandmother’s powwow-dance regalia out of a pawnshop or a young mother who sings to her comatose baby while using an enormous vibrator as backup music, the subjects of these nine stories are passionate in their odd pursuits. Alexie, who wrote the 1998 film Smoke Signals, is an established chronicler of the rituals and ruptures of modern Native American life, but his eye for hard truths transcends any ethnic pigeonholing. While ‘Can I Get a Witness?’ is a rambling clunker, the rest of the tales offer a disarming mix of reverence, sacrilege, off-kilter humor, and pathos. In ‘Flight Patterns,’ an Ethiopian fighter pilot-turned-cabbie and an upwardly mobile Spokane salesman trade stories and chuckle, ‘The contradictions are the story, yes?’ Yes.
Ten Little Indians Whether it's a homeless drunk who tries to get his grandmother's powwow-dance regalia out of a pawnshop or a young mother who sings to her comatose...Ten Little IndiansFictionSherman Alexie Whether it's a homeless drunk who tries to get his grandmother's powwow-dance regalia out of a pawnshop or a young mother who sings to her comatose...2003-06-13
Genre: Fiction; Author: Sherman Alexie
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!