It’s been four years since Fountains of Wayne’s sublime sophomore disc, Utopia Parkway, failed to score the big sales it deserved. Now the band has cannily front-loaded its 16-song return, Welcome Interstate Managers, with a triple punch of joyously clever power pop. The opener, “Mexican Wine,” is filled with “Strawberry Fields Forever” horns and brass-ring fumbles (“I used to fly for United Airlines/Then I got fired for reading High Times”). The rollicking “Bright Future in Sales” is a wry rocker about a self-sabotaging but ever-optimistic salesman. And first single “Stacy’s Mom”–a teen’s hormonally addled mash note about his girlfriend’s hot mama (“I know you think it’s just a fantasy/But since your dad walked out, your mom could use a guy like me!”)–is crank-it-up, warble-along perfection, driven by stuttery Cars-style guitar licks. But Welcome is not all about juicy power chords. “Fire Island” is a soft, shimmering ballad that pays homage to those halcyon days of naked pool parties when the ‘rents left town. (Yes, the thirtysomething members of FOW have a sweet spot for their for-mative years.) And in the melancholy “Hackensack,” a Jersey dude views L.A. as a distant mirage where his high school dream girl and “everybody else” goes. Parkway didn’t take Fountains of Wayne to the charts, but let’s hope the Interstate will.
Welcome Interstate Managers It's been four years since Fountains of Wayne's sublime sophomore disc, Utopia Parkway, failed to score the big sales it deserved. Now the band has...Welcome Interstate Managers It's been four years since Fountains of Wayne's sublime sophomore disc, Utopia Parkway, failed to score the big sales it deserved. Now the band has...2003-06-13
(Fountains of Wayne: Joseph Cultice)
Producer (group): Virgin; Status: In Season
Posted June 13 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Missy Elliott and Pharrell are in the studio together
- See Eddie Redmayne in his next big role as Lili Elbe in The Danish Girl
- Carlton Cuse looks back on his long and unique career
- Kanye apology to Beck, Bruno Mars
- Carly Rae Jepsen returns with 'I Really Like You'--and Tom Hanks?!
- 'Jem and the Holograms' first photo from fall movie
- 'Into the Woods' 'lost' Meryl Streep song: Watch the deleted scene here
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!