One dubious perk of growing up in the ghetto of small-town Sandusky, Ohio – ”the little, out-of-the-way hoods,” Donnell Alexander explains in his blustery though occasionally moving bildungs-memoir, ”are actually, like, extra-ghetto” – is the chance to later land a lucrative gig as a glossy magazine’s ”designated hipster.” At least that’s what Alexander concludes after ESPN The Magazine lures him away from L.A. Weekly to help sell urban cool to the white-suburban masses. Alexander’s insights into corporate culture can seem oddly naive, and he gratingly portrays himself as the only guy with a clue (whether in the alternative press or at a major media conglomerate). Overall, he is more effective exploring his conflicted feelings about his background, his interracial marriage, and the legacy of his father, a small-time musician, heroin addict, pimp, and charismatic ”ghetto celebrity” long before that became a marketable thing to be.
Ghetto Celebrity: Searching for My Father in Me One dubious perk of growing up in the ghetto of small-town Sandusky, Ohio -- ''the little, out-of-the-way hoods,'' Donnell Alexander explains in his...Ghetto Celebrity: Searching for My Father in MeNonfictionDonnell Alexander One dubious perk of growing up in the ghetto of small-town Sandusky, Ohio -- ''the little, out-of-the-way hoods,'' Donnell Alexander explains in his...2003-06-20
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Donnell Alexander
Posted June 20 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!