The Emmy-winning (!), 32-episode (!) 1966-7 first season of The Monkees, the American-sitcom Beatles. To the beat of catchy songs written for them by Neil Diamond (”I’m a Believer”) and the Tommy Boyce-Bobby Hart team, Nesmith, Jones, Micky Dolenz, and Peter Tork cavort through one recurring plot – a rock band struggling to make it – regularly interrupted by pre-MTV music videos. Take it for what it is: nostalgic pop pap. EXTRAS Remarkably shrewd analysis by Nesmith over three episodes; enjoyably pretentious commentary on the pilot by occasional series director Bob Rafelson (”Five Easy Pieces”), who invokes James Thurber and ”the French new wave,” and says Stephen Stills could have had Tork’s role, but missing teeth and thinning hair nixed him. Plus their Kellogg’s cereal commercials!
The Monkees: Season One The Emmy-winning (!), 32-episode (!) 1966-7 first season of The Monkees, the American-sitcom Beatles. To the beat of catchy songs written for ...The Monkees: Season OneComedy, Musical The Emmy-winning (!), 32-episode (!) 1966-7 first season of The Monkees, the American-sitcom Beatles. To the beat of catchy songs written for ...2003-06-20
(The Monkees: Everett Collection)
Genre: Comedy, Musical
Posted June 20 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Someone made a cool trailer for Netflix's 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' -- but it wasn't Netflix
- 'The Walking Dead' showrunner says comic backstory will be revealed in season 6
- Ridley Scott talks turning Philip K. Dick's 'The Man in the High Castle' into 10-episode series
- Exclusive: Subway tunnel rave turns deadly in 'Survive the Night' trailer
- 'Edward Scissorhands' 25th anniversary Blu-ray: New details
- Demi Lovato: 'Summer' turns into fall
- The Roots play 'Rappers Delight' with the Philadelphia Mayor for Fourth of July
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!