After witnessing the horrors of WWI, the once charming and confident Byron Aldridge returns from France a shell of his former self. Abandoning his Pittsburgh family, he becomes the sole lawman in the backwoods mill town of Nimbus, La., doling out justice with the wrong end of a Colt automatic. His little brother arrives, hoping to lure Byron back North. What follows is a dense, masterfully written story of filial ties and a struggle for decency and redemption within a heart of darkness teeming with ”men poor in everything but revenge.” Gautreaux’s second novel skillfully captures a living, breathing South, where men’s minds are as muddied as the landscape. Though occasionally overreaching, the tale is imbued with such delicacy and even beauty that it not only affects but astonishes.
The Clearing After witnessing the horrors of WWI, the once charming and confident Byron Aldridge returns from France a shell of his former self. Abandoning his...The ClearingFictionTim Gautreaux After witnessing the horrors of WWI, the once charming and confident Byron Aldridge returns from France a shell of his former self. Abandoning his...2003-06-27Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: Tim Gautreaux; Publisher: Knopf
Posted June 27 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!