After witnessing the horrors of WWI, the once charming and confident Byron Aldridge returns from France a shell of his former self. Abandoning his Pittsburgh family, he becomes the sole lawman in the backwoods mill town of Nimbus, La., doling out justice with the wrong end of a Colt automatic. His little brother arrives, hoping to lure Byron back North. What follows is a dense, masterfully written story of filial ties and a struggle for decency and redemption within a heart of darkness teeming with ”men poor in everything but revenge.” Gautreaux’s second novel skillfully captures a living, breathing South, where men’s minds are as muddied as the landscape. Though occasionally overreaching, the tale is imbued with such delicacy and even beauty that it not only affects but astonishes.
The Clearing After witnessing the horrors of WWI, the once charming and confident Byron Aldridge returns from France a shell of his former self. Abandoning his...The ClearingFictionTim Gautreaux After witnessing the horrors of WWI, the once charming and confident Byron Aldridge returns from France a shell of his former self. Abandoning his...2003-06-27Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: Tim Gautreaux; Status: In Season; Publisher: Knopf
Posted June 27 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Fall 2015 TV pilots: Updated full list
- Kanye West tweets apologies to Beck and Bruno Mars
- 'Agents of SHIELD' unveils new poster art: Here's 'Aftershocks'
- Elizabeth Hurley gets slap happy in 'Royals' clip: First Look
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller Wake halts production due to lack of funding
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in new issue of comic book
- 'Grey's Anatomy': What's next for Amelia and Owen?
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!