There’s nothing like a hijacking to jump-start a woman’s identity crisis. When terrorists seize Moroccan Air flight 919 to Spain, timid, bookish Alice reassesses her career (why did she drop out of social-work school?); her life (why is she sexually inexperienced?); and her relationship with her promiscuous sister. This gripping intellectual thriller shuns straightforward plotting. We first meet Alice post-hijacking, as she plunges into the rabbit hole of a school for terrorist studies. Then we jump back to the airborne drama, with glimpses of the secret histories of other hostages and a nonstop barrage of ethical queries (would you shoot a dead body?). Julavits, an editor of the McSweeney’s-backed ‘zine The Believer, keeps the narrative tense and thought-provoking, but much of it plays like a late-night dorm conversation. You’re enthralled, but the next day you wonder what you were even talking about. Meta-enjoyable, but short on heart.
The Effect of Living Backwards There's nothing like a hijacking to jump-start a woman's identity crisis. When terrorists seize Moroccan Air flight 919 to Spain, timid, bookish Alice...The Effect of Living BackwardsFictionHeidi Julavits There's nothing like a hijacking to jump-start a woman's identity crisis. When terrorists seize Moroccan Air flight 919 to Spain, timid, bookish Alice...2003-06-27Putnam
Genre: Fiction; Author: Heidi Julavits; Publisher: Putnam
Posted June 27 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!