There’s nothing like a hijacking to jump-start a woman’s identity crisis. When terrorists seize Moroccan Air flight 919 to Spain, timid, bookish Alice reassesses her career (why did she drop out of social-work school?); her life (why is she sexually inexperienced?); and her relationship with her promiscuous sister. This gripping intellectual thriller shuns straightforward plotting. We first meet Alice post-hijacking, as she plunges into the rabbit hole of a school for terrorist studies. Then we jump back to the airborne drama, with glimpses of the secret histories of other hostages and a nonstop barrage of ethical queries (would you shoot a dead body?). Julavits, an editor of the McSweeney’s-backed ‘zine The Believer, keeps the narrative tense and thought-provoking, but much of it plays like a late-night dorm conversation. You’re enthralled, but the next day you wonder what you were even talking about. Meta-enjoyable, but short on heart.
The Effect of Living Backwards There's nothing like a hijacking to jump-start a woman's identity crisis. When terrorists seize Moroccan Air flight 919 to Spain, timid, bookish Alice...The Effect of Living BackwardsFictionHeidi Julavits There's nothing like a hijacking to jump-start a woman's identity crisis. When terrorists seize Moroccan Air flight 919 to Spain, timid, bookish Alice...2003-06-27Putnam
Genre: Fiction; Author: Heidi Julavits; Publisher: Putnam
Posted June 27 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- 'Frozen' musical selects city for world premiere before Broadway
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996