There’s nothing like a hijacking to jump-start a woman’s identity crisis. When terrorists seize Moroccan Air flight 919 to Spain, timid, bookish Alice reassesses her career (why did she drop out of social-work school?); her life (why is she sexually inexperienced?); and her relationship with her promiscuous sister. This gripping intellectual thriller shuns straightforward plotting. We first meet Alice post-hijacking, as she plunges into the rabbit hole of a school for terrorist studies. Then we jump back to the airborne drama, with glimpses of the secret histories of other hostages and a nonstop barrage of ethical queries (would you shoot a dead body?). Julavits, an editor of the McSweeney’s-backed ‘zine The Believer, keeps the narrative tense and thought-provoking, but much of it plays like a late-night dorm conversation. You’re enthralled, but the next day you wonder what you were even talking about. Meta-enjoyable, but short on heart.
The Effect of Living Backwards There's nothing like a hijacking to jump-start a woman's identity crisis. When terrorists seize Moroccan Air flight 919 to Spain, timid, bookish Alice...The Effect of Living BackwardsFictionHeidi Julavits There's nothing like a hijacking to jump-start a woman's identity crisis. When terrorists seize Moroccan Air flight 919 to Spain, timid, bookish Alice...2003-06-27Putnam
Genre: Fiction; Author: Heidi Julavits; Publisher: Putnam
Posted June 27 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!