For Michelle Branch, whose 2001 debut established her as the most sedate and asexual of the new teen stars, there’ll be no getting her freak on. Her competent, colorless follow-up, Hotel Paper, opens with ”Are You Happy Now?” a surprising fit of power-chord pique that’s unsuccessfully Avril-esque. It’s the last ”rock” song on the CD, as Branch soon reverts to wistful, acoustic-guitar-driven form, aiming to be the next Shawn Colvin (or Buckingham/Nicks, in the Sheryl Crow duet ”Love Me Like That”). There are worse aspirations for a 19-year-old, but the inescapable girlishness in her voice heightens the unlived-in quality of hackneyed, lovelorn ballads like ”Desperately,” the least desperate-sounding song of 2003. In Branch’s attempts at sounding old before her time, every lyric and hook feels shopworn. If only she could find some grown-ups who’d force her to be an adolescent: Where ARE those Svengali-ish song docs in the Matrix when you need ‘em?
Hotel PaperFor Michelle Branch, whose 2001 debut established her as the most sedate and asexual of the new teen stars, there'll be no getting her freak on. Her...Hotel PaperFor Michelle Branch, whose 2001 debut established her as the most sedate and asexual of the new teen stars, there'll be no getting her freak on. Her...2003-06-27
(Michelle Branch: Matthew Welch)
Lead Performer: Michelle Branch; Producer (group): Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!