For Michelle Branch, whose 2001 debut established her as the most sedate and asexual of the new teen stars, there’ll be no getting her freak on. Her competent, colorless follow-up, Hotel Paper, opens with ”Are You Happy Now?” a surprising fit of power-chord pique that’s unsuccessfully Avril-esque. It’s the last ”rock” song on the CD, as Branch soon reverts to wistful, acoustic-guitar-driven form, aiming to be the next Shawn Colvin (or Buckingham/Nicks, in the Sheryl Crow duet ”Love Me Like That”). There are worse aspirations for a 19-year-old, but the inescapable girlishness in her voice heightens the unlived-in quality of hackneyed, lovelorn ballads like ”Desperately,” the least desperate-sounding song of 2003. In Branch’s attempts at sounding old before her time, every lyric and hook feels shopworn. If only she could find some grown-ups who’d force her to be an adolescent: Where ARE those Svengali-ish song docs in the Matrix when you need ‘em?
Hotel PaperFor Michelle Branch, whose 2001 debut established her as the most sedate and asexual of the new teen stars, there'll be no getting her freak on. Her...Hotel PaperFor Michelle Branch, whose 2001 debut established her as the most sedate and asexual of the new teen stars, there'll be no getting her freak on. Her...2003-06-27
(Michelle Branch: Matthew Welch)
Lead Performer: Michelle Branch; Producer (group): Warner Bros.
Posted June 27 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!