American Idol diehards are split almost evenly between Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken. Which is exactly the problem with Justin Guarini’s debut. After a 10-month wait, who – with the exception of Guarini’s parents – cares about the AI first-season runner-up? Even his most rabid fans will recognize Guarini’s innocuous, focus-grouped, you-know-you-wanna-love-me ballads as songs that should be greeting Kmart shoppers. As for the Clay versus Ruben showdown, this round goes to the skinny white kid. His decadent, gospel-drenched take on ”Bridge Over Troubled Water” should have won him AI2 and will manhandle Ru’s competent but dull version of the Carpenters’ ”Superstar” (the longest three minutes ever) as well as ”Flying Without Wings” (whatever the heck that means) on the singles charts. Justin: D+ Clay: B Ruben: C+
Bridge Over Troubled Water / This is the Night American Idol diehards are split almost evenly between Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken. Which is exactly the problem with Justin Guarini's debut. After a...Bridge Over Troubled Water / This is the NightPop American Idol diehards are split almost evenly between Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken. Which is exactly the problem with Justin Guarini's debut. After a...2003-06-27
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Clay Aiken; Producer (group): RCA
Posted June 27 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Gilmore Girls' Fan Fest happening in town that inspired Stars Hollow
- Video Music Awards 2016: How well do you know the nominees?
- WATCH: Winter Soldier has shield envy in 'Civil War' deleted scene
- Naya Rivera reveals she had an abortion during 'Glee'
- Cher slams Donald Trump as 'f---ing idiot'
- CHVRCHES cover Calvin Harris & Rihanna's 'This Is What You Came For'
- 'Nashville' star eyes exit as premiere date confirmed
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...