Paul ”Skinny” D’Amato wouldn’t exist without Atlantic City, and Atlantic City wouldn’t exist without Skinny. Or, so argues this dual biography of New Jersey’s wicked little city by the sea and its unofficial ambassador of vice, dice, and everything nice. On his own, D’Amato isn’t nearly as interesting as Van Meter seems to think he is – he’s just another Mobbed-up club owner who dressed as if he were colorblind. What elevates him is the ritzy clientele of his 500 Club a half century ago: Frank Sinatra, Joe DiMaggio, Dean Martin, and Jerry Lewis. Martin & Lewis put Skinny’s joint on the map when they debuted their half-sozzled/half-spastic act there in 1946. Van Meter paints D’Amato as a ring-a-ding-ding Zelig: a mystery man wheeling and dealing with the Mafia; greasing JFK’s way into the Oval Office; and inventing the Rat Pack. But the evidence isn’t really there. Van Meter hangs too much on Skinny, and the book buckles under the weight. And in the places we most want to hear something fresh – JFK’s dalliances, Frank’s flair, Marilyn’s demons – we get rehashed anecdotes ripped from the pages of other, better books.
The Last Good Time Paul ''Skinny'' D'Amato wouldn't exist without Atlantic City, and Atlantic City wouldn't exist without Skinny. Or, so argues this dual biography of...The Last Good TimeHistory, NonfictionJonathan Van Meter Paul ''Skinny'' D'Amato wouldn't exist without Atlantic City, and Atlantic City wouldn't exist without Skinny. Or, so argues this dual biography of...2003-06-27Crown
Genre: History, Nonfiction; Author: Jonathan Van Meter; Publisher: Crown
Posted June 27 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Breaking Bad' actor RJ Mitte champions disabled people in pop culture
- WATCH: Exclusive clip from 'Light Between Oceans'
- Stars put Jimmy Fallon to shame in dramatic game of Musical Beers
- The Must List: Sunday's VMAs, new Frank Ocean, and more
- Dave Grohl and Prophets of Rage cover the MC5's 'Kick Out the Jams'
- Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, 'Seinfeld' cast 'bonked' by Jimmy Fallon
- Seth Meyers revises offer for Donald Trump show 'Chicago President'
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...