Paul ”Skinny” D’Amato wouldn’t exist without Atlantic City, and Atlantic City wouldn’t exist without Skinny. Or, so argues this dual biography of New Jersey’s wicked little city by the sea and its unofficial ambassador of vice, dice, and everything nice. On his own, D’Amato isn’t nearly as interesting as Van Meter seems to think he is – he’s just another Mobbed-up club owner who dressed as if he were colorblind. What elevates him is the ritzy clientele of his 500 Club a half century ago: Frank Sinatra, Joe DiMaggio, Dean Martin, and Jerry Lewis. Martin & Lewis put Skinny’s joint on the map when they debuted their half-sozzled/half-spastic act there in 1946. Van Meter paints D’Amato as a ring-a-ding-ding Zelig: a mystery man wheeling and dealing with the Mafia; greasing JFK’s way into the Oval Office; and inventing the Rat Pack. But the evidence isn’t really there. Van Meter hangs too much on Skinny, and the book buckles under the weight. And in the places we most want to hear something fresh – JFK’s dalliances, Frank’s flair, Marilyn’s demons – we get rehashed anecdotes ripped from the pages of other, better books.
The Last Good Time Paul ''Skinny'' D'Amato wouldn't exist without Atlantic City, and Atlantic City wouldn't exist without Skinny. Or, so argues this dual biography of...The Last Good TimeHistory, NonfictionJonathan Van Meter Paul ''Skinny'' D'Amato wouldn't exist without Atlantic City, and Atlantic City wouldn't exist without Skinny. Or, so argues this dual biography of...2003-06-27Crown
Genre: History, Nonfiction; Author: Jonathan Van Meter; Publisher: Crown
Posted June 27 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Wayward Pines' exec producer Chad Hodge explains Ethan's evolution
- 'Graceland' costar Vanessa Ferlito breaks down 'Chester Cheeto' and Charlie's big lie
- Sean Combs UCLA fight: No felony charge
- Casting Net: Mark Wahlberg, Peter Berg to reteam for 'Mile 22'
- Channing Tatum is 21 and adorable in this video from Fashion Week 2002
- Taylor Swift's '1989' leads Nielsen's mid-year charts, naturally
- Disney princes get a Magic Mike makeover