Few shows are as aurally demanding as Nine, Maury Yeston’s massive musicalization of the Fellini film ”8 1/2”: It takes repeated listenings to absorb the extravagant mix of Italian folk, operetta, torchy vamps, and lilting ballads. But few shows are so rewarding – whether it’s the current revival (starring an amazing Antonio Banderas) or the remastered 1982 premiere (with the inimitable Raul Julia). Though the newer version imparts a fuller sound (Mary Stuart Masterson’s ”My Husband Makes Movies” is sublime), the two-disc original is more complete. Still, each captures the show’s richness. Both: A
Nine (1982 Original Broadway Cast) Few shows are as aurally demanding as Nine, Maury Yeston's massive musicalization of the Fellini film ''8 1/2'': It takes repeated listenings to...Nine (1982 Original Broadway Cast)Reissues, Soundtracks Few shows are as aurally demanding as Nine, Maury Yeston's massive musicalization of the Fellini film ''8 1/2'': It takes repeated listenings to...2003-06-27
Genre: Reissues, Soundtracks; Lead Performer: Raul Julia; Producer (group): Sony Classical
Posted June 27 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!