Few shows are as aurally demanding as Nine, Maury Yeston’s massive musicalization of the Fellini film ”8 1/2”: It takes repeated listenings to absorb the extravagant mix of Italian folk, operetta, torchy vamps, and lilting ballads. But few shows are so rewarding – whether it’s the current revival (starring an amazing Antonio Banderas) or the remastered 1982 premiere (with the inimitable Raul Julia). Though the newer version imparts a fuller sound (Mary Stuart Masterson’s ”My Husband Makes Movies” is sublime), the two-disc original is more complete. Still, each captures the show’s richness. Both: A
Nine (1982 Original Broadway Cast) Few shows are as aurally demanding as Nine, Maury Yeston's massive musicalization of the Fellini film ''8 1/2'': It takes repeated listenings to...Nine (1982 Original Broadway Cast)Reissues, Soundtracks Few shows are as aurally demanding as Nine, Maury Yeston's massive musicalization of the Fellini film ''8 1/2'': It takes repeated listenings to...2003-06-27
Genre: Reissues, Soundtracks; Lead Performer: Raul Julia; Producer (group): Sony Classical
Posted June 27 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- PlayStation Plus offers 'Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes' and five more free games in June
- Patricia Highsmith's 'Ripley' eyed for TV
- Kendrick Lamar puts on artsy 'These Walls' performance for 'The Ellen DeGeneres Show'
- Tilda Swinton circles 'Doctor Strange'
- Jesse Plemons, Domhnall Gleeson join Tom Cruise for 'Mena'
- ‘Hocus Pocus’ stage show will haunt Disney World this Halloween
- Young Thug wants to call his next mixtape 'Carter V'