Few shows are as aurally demanding as Nine, Maury Yeston’s massive musicalization of the Fellini film ”8 1/2”: It takes repeated listenings to absorb the extravagant mix of Italian folk, operetta, torchy vamps, and lilting ballads. But few shows are so rewarding – whether it’s the current revival (starring an amazing Antonio Banderas) or the remastered 1982 premiere (with the inimitable Raul Julia). Though the newer version imparts a fuller sound (Mary Stuart Masterson’s ”My Husband Makes Movies” is sublime), the two-disc original is more complete. Still, each captures the show’s richness. Both: A
Nine (1982 Original Broadway Cast) Few shows are as aurally demanding as Nine, Maury Yeston's massive musicalization of the Fellini film ''8 1/2'': It takes repeated listenings to...Nine (1982 Original Broadway Cast)Reissues, Soundtracks Few shows are as aurally demanding as Nine, Maury Yeston's massive musicalization of the Fellini film ''8 1/2'': It takes repeated listenings to...2003-06-27
Genre: Reissues, Soundtracks; Lead Performer: Raul Julia; Producer (group): Sony Classical
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- 'Daily Show': Trevor Noah's name floats as possible host; get a quick intro to his work
- Jerry Seinfeld on Wale: 'He's got that true artistic spirit'
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Kate Mara, Sienna Miller & More!