Few shows are as aurally demanding as Nine, Maury Yeston’s massive musicalization of the Fellini film ”8 1/2”: It takes repeated listenings to absorb the extravagant mix of Italian folk, operetta, torchy vamps, and lilting ballads. But few shows are so rewarding – whether it’s the current revival (starring an amazing Antonio Banderas) or the remastered 1982 premiere (with the inimitable Raul Julia). Though the newer version imparts a fuller sound (Mary Stuart Masterson’s ”My Husband Makes Movies” is sublime), the two-disc original is more complete. Still, each captures the show’s richness. Both: A
Nine (1982 Original Broadway Cast) Few shows are as aurally demanding as Nine, Maury Yeston's massive musicalization of the Fellini film ''8 1/2'': It takes repeated listenings to...Nine (1982 Original Broadway Cast)Reissues, Soundtracks Few shows are as aurally demanding as Nine, Maury Yeston's massive musicalization of the Fellini film ''8 1/2'': It takes repeated listenings to...2003-06-27
Genre: Reissues, Soundtracks; Lead Performer: Raul Julia; Producer (group): Sony Classical
Posted June 27 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles
- 'Agents of SHIELD' eyes Skye's arc: 'Birth of a superhero'