In the glorious light of the San Fernando Valley, an armchair traveler in a bright blue suit (Sandler) collects frequent-flier miles and shivers with repressed rage. A peripatetic woman (the luminous Watson) appears and inexplicably takes an interest in him. Sparks fly. Tears flow. Paul Thomas Anderson’s elliptical, stunningly beautiful 2002 Cannes prizewinner is a meditation on true love, the ways in which we are all bizarre, the magic of the perfect match, and the preposterously unlikely nature of the whole enterprise. EXTRAS An indulgent mix, including an arty short, a hilarious commercial for the movie’s Mattress Man, and gorgeous artwork by Jeremy Blake, who designed Punch-Drunk’s Rothko-on-acid interstitials.
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Adam Sandler, Emily Watson, Luis Guzman, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Robert Smigel; Director: Paul Thomas Anderson; Author: Paul Thomas Anderson; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Survivor' exclusive sneak peek: Watch the 'Worlds Apart' merge
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Hilary Duff, Scott Eastwood & More!