Magazine writer Hudson is assigned a column on getting a guy to dump her in 10 days; McConaughey, an ad exec, makes a bet that he can get a gal to fall in love with him in 10 days. The two meet, and the dating games begin. You may be sick of sappy romantic comedies, but at least the latest from director Donald Petrie (”Mystic Pizza,” ”Miss Congeniality”) has some redeeming qualities: Hudson is captivatingly believable as she plays a cool chick playing an uncool chick, the chemistry between the attractive duo is palpable, and the ”girlfriend of your nightmares” jokes occasionally hit home – she leaves him 16 phone messages, refers to his manliness as ”Princess Sophia,” and composites their faces together to create their grotesquely ugly future kids. EXTRAS Director Petrie?s commentary and deleted-scenes narratives are entertaining, but did we really need a series of featurettes on location filming? Yawn.
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Kate Hudson, Matthew McConaughey, Adam Goldberg, Shalom Harlow, Michael Michele, Bebe Neuwirth; Director: Donald Petrie; Author: Kristen Buckley, Brian Regan, Burr Steers; Producer (person): Christine Peters; Release Date Wide: 02/07/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted July 1 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- ‘Concussion’ director: Film not ‘intended to take down the NFL’
- 'SNL' announces Miley Cyrus will be musical guest for season premiere
- There is no new novel in Harper Lee's deposit box, despite rumors
- Whedon fave on 'Bloodsucking Bastards' (and why he wants to be killed by Thor)
- Syfy renews 'Dark Matter' and 'Killjoys' for second seasons
- David Lagercrantz reveals what it's like to take over the 'Dragon Tattoo' series
- Jimmy Fallon will interview Donald Trump on 'The Tonight Show'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!