Magazine writer Hudson is assigned a column on getting a guy to dump her in 10 days; McConaughey, an ad exec, makes a bet that he can get a gal to fall in love with him in 10 days. The two meet, and the dating games begin. You may be sick of sappy romantic comedies, but at least the latest from director Donald Petrie (”Mystic Pizza,” ”Miss Congeniality”) has some redeeming qualities: Hudson is captivatingly believable as she plays a cool chick playing an uncool chick, the chemistry between the attractive duo is palpable, and the ”girlfriend of your nightmares” jokes occasionally hit home – she leaves him 16 phone messages, refers to his manliness as ”Princess Sophia,” and composites their faces together to create their grotesquely ugly future kids. EXTRAS Director Petrie?s commentary and deleted-scenes narratives are entertaining, but did we really need a series of featurettes on location filming? Yawn.
Genre: Romance, Comedy; Starring: Kate Hudson, Matthew McConaughey, Adam Goldberg, Shalom Harlow, Michael Michele, Bebe Neuwirth; Director: Donald Petrie; Author: Kristen Buckley, Brian Regan, Burr Steers; Producer (person): Christine Peters; Release Date Wide: 02/07/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted July 1 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- WATCH: Reid Scott reveals who laughs the most on the set of 'Veep'
- What time is the White House Correspondents Dinner?
- Mario Lopez, Anderson Cooper: Who's replacing Michael Strahan?
- Larry Wilmore gets advice for White House Correspondents' Dinner
- What to Watch This Weekend: 'Veep' hooks up with John Slattery
- Teacher suspended for showing high school class 'Human Centipede 2'
- Dan Trachtenberg to direct 'Black Mirror' episode for Netflix
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch