DEA agent Travolta is investigating a military exercise (led by Jackson’s drill sergeant) gone horribly wrong, and he wants answers! But we have a few questions of our own, chiefly: Why rip off Rashomon with several different accounts of the same event if they all end up being not only bogus, but boring, too? Basic’s most basic flaw (yes, even more than Connie Nielsen’s laughable Southern accent) is its lame attempt to generate heat through a series of ”twists” that are as inane as they are implausible. These last-minute switcheroos are a cheap substitute for actual intrigue. EXTRAS Hey, who wants to hear writer James Vanderbilt read passages from his script? Whoa, not all at once now.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Samuel L. Jackson, Connie Nielsen, John Travolta, Harry Connick Jr., Tim Daly, Cristian de la Fuente, Taye Diggs, Dash Mihok, Giovanni Ribisi, Roselyn Sanchez, Brian Van Holt; Director: John McTiernan; Author: James Vanderbilt; Release Date Wide: 03/28/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Entertainment
Posted July 11 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!