She was a lesbian who was alternately obsessive about and dismissive of most women; an unrepentant alcoholic who nonetheless produced nearly two dozen taut, disciplined novels(most notably Strangers on a Train and The Talented Mr. Ripley);a profound misanthrope with a wide circle of friends; a tough Texan who could find a home only in Europe; and an artist who brought an acute understanding of the human mind to her fiction but was, in life, choked and tormented – perhaps even driven mad – by her own fury. Patricia Highsmith was, in short, a biographer’s dream, and British journalist Wilson does her full justice in a stunningly researched and insightful account of her 74 years. Wilson doesn’t stint on the Grand Guignol details of her life – the secret language in which she spoke to her cats, or the fact that in middle age, her booze-seamed countenance caused waiters to mistake her for a man. But he never lets the grotesquerie undermine his argument that she is one of the 20th century’s most important neglected writers. Without hyperbole or forced Freudianism, he finds enthralling connections between her troubled psyche and her frostily composed prose, helped by her copious diaries, notebooks, and letters. Sympathetic but unblinking, Shadow is an exciting milestone in the posthumous resurgence of an author who was a Ripleyesque enigma to her readers and herself.
Beautiful Shadow: A Life of Patricia Highsmith She was a lesbian who was alternately obsessive about and dismissive of most women; an unrepentant alcoholic who nonetheless produced nearly two dozen...Beautiful Shadow: A Life of Patricia HighsmithBiography, NonfictionAndrew Wilson She was a lesbian who was alternately obsessive about and dismissive of most women; an unrepentant alcoholic who nonetheless produced nearly two dozen...2003-07-11Bloomsbury
Genre: Biography, Nonfiction; Author: Andrew Wilson; Publisher: Bloomsbury
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Listen to EW's Sirius XM spotlight on the women of comedy, featuring Kristen Schaal
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' spinoff finds its Hawkgirl: Broadway star Ciara Renee
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!