Easy on the eyes but hard to swallow, the Spanish suspenser Intacto centers on people with ”the gift” of luck who play high-stakes games of chance against one another. Federico (Poncela) is one of these gifted folk, but his winning streak ends when he falls out with the casino-dwelling ”king of fate” (a creepy Max von Sydow). Aiming to reverse his fortunes, Federico finds someone who’s really lucky: bank robber Tomas (Sbaraglia), the only survivor of a plane crash. Tomas competes in odd games – like running through the woods blindfolded and seeing who will be the last to run into a tree. It’s all muy bizarre. But director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo gives the film a sharp, noirish look that’s nicely complemented by Lucio Godoy’s eerie music. EXTRAS If you’re still perplexed at the end, the making-of featurette will increase your chances of understanding the arty thriller.
Genre: Foreign Language, Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Monica Lopez, Eusebio Poncela, Leonardo Sbaraglia, Max von Sydow; Director: Juan Carlos Fresnadillo; Author: Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, Andres Koppel; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted July 11 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ridley Scott talks turning Philip K. Dick's 'The Man in the High Castle' into 10-episode series
- Exclusive: Subway tunnel rave turns deadly in 'Survive the Night' trailer
- 'Edward Scissorhands' 25th anniversary Blu-ray: New details
- Demi Lovato: 'Summer' turns into fall
- The Roots play 'Rappers Delight' with the Philadelphia Mayor for Fourth of July
- John Oliver's Shallow Dive: 15 topics in 60(-ish) seconds
- Miley Cyrus cameos as a skateboarding heartthrob on 'Stone Quackers'
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!