Live theater – especially stunt-driven performance art – loses a lot on home video, but the RSC’s three wandering bards keep up the momentum throughout their breakneck distillation of Shakespeare’s canon. (For those unfamiliar with the 20-year-old show, the three-man troupe accordions the First Folio by performing Othello as a rap, compressing the history plays into a football game with the crown as the pigskin, etc.) Despite a few groaners (”Willy” jokes, anyone?), Abridged is endearing, medium-clever fun, especially when Long defends his from-the-gut approach to emoting: ”I will not do dry, boring, vomitless Shakespeare!” EXTRAS Check out the home video of an early Abridged performance – it’s actually more fun than the polished version.
The Reduced Shakespeare Company: The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Live theater -- especially stunt-driven performance art -- loses a lot on home video, but the RSC's three wandering bards keep up the momentum...The Reduced Shakespeare Company: The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Live theater -- especially stunt-driven performance art -- loses a lot on home video, but the RSC's three wandering bards keep up the momentum...2003-07-11
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Mark Ruffalo defends Joss Whedon after feminist backlash
- 'The Last Man on Earth' names Dan Sterling as new showrunner
- Univision taps Bill Clinton for Upfront Q&A
- 'iZombie' renewed for season 2
- Graduate in style with these diploma tunes
- Mariah Carey makes Frito pie in Funny or Die video, and it looks terrible
- The new Hamburglar is hot, and that's kind of a problem
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!