Live theater – especially stunt-driven performance art – loses a lot on home video, but the RSC’s three wandering bards keep up the momentum throughout their breakneck distillation of Shakespeare’s canon. (For those unfamiliar with the 20-year-old show, the three-man troupe accordions the First Folio by performing Othello as a rap, compressing the history plays into a football game with the crown as the pigskin, etc.) Despite a few groaners (”Willy” jokes, anyone?), Abridged is endearing, medium-clever fun, especially when Long defends his from-the-gut approach to emoting: ”I will not do dry, boring, vomitless Shakespeare!” EXTRAS Check out the home video of an early Abridged performance – it’s actually more fun than the polished version.
The Reduced Shakespeare Company: The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Live theater -- especially stunt-driven performance art -- loses a lot on home video, but the RSC's three wandering bards keep up the momentum...The Reduced Shakespeare Company: The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Live theater -- especially stunt-driven performance art -- loses a lot on home video, but the RSC's three wandering bards keep up the momentum...2003-07-11
Posted July 11 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'House of Cards' premiere react: Blood on the Tracks
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!