Live theater – especially stunt-driven performance art – loses a lot on home video, but the RSC’s three wandering bards keep up the momentum throughout their breakneck distillation of Shakespeare’s canon. (For those unfamiliar with the 20-year-old show, the three-man troupe accordions the First Folio by performing Othello as a rap, compressing the history plays into a football game with the crown as the pigskin, etc.) Despite a few groaners (”Willy” jokes, anyone?), Abridged is endearing, medium-clever fun, especially when Long defends his from-the-gut approach to emoting: ”I will not do dry, boring, vomitless Shakespeare!” EXTRAS Check out the home video of an early Abridged performance – it’s actually more fun than the polished version.
The Reduced Shakespeare Company: The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Live theater -- especially stunt-driven performance art -- loses a lot on home video, but the RSC's three wandering bards keep up the momentum...The Reduced Shakespeare Company: The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Live theater -- especially stunt-driven performance art -- loses a lot on home video, but the RSC's three wandering bards keep up the momentum...2003-07-11
Posted July 11 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!