John Rain is a half-American, half-Japanese hitman (introduced in 2002’s Rain Fall) who savors a smooth malt whiskey as much as turning some heavy’s legs to sushi. This time out, Rain gets ensnared in a web of zealous cops, rogue CIA agents, fatally irresistible strippers, and one sumo-size mobster. While Eisler offers a convincing noir landscape and action scenes that could make John Woo drool, the too-complex plot is peopled by characters both sharp-tongued and hollow. Plus, Rain is given to hokey clenched-jaw quips. ”The people who know me,” he muses, ”seem to be equally divided between wanting to kill me and wanting me to kill.” At times, the reader might be inclined more toward the former.
Hard Rain John Rain is a half-American, half-Japanese hitman (introduced in 2002's Rain Fall) who savors a smooth malt whiskey as much as turning some heavy's...Hard RainFictionBarry Eisler John Rain is a half-American, half-Japanese hitman (introduced in 2002's Rain Fall) who savors a smooth malt whiskey as much as turning some heavy's...2003-07-18
Genre: Fiction; Author: Barry Eisler
Posted July 18 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- '90210' actress wants actors' ages off casting sites to prevent ageism
- Doug Liman to direct 'Justice League Dark' for Warner Bros.
- PaleyFest: Made in NY to feature 'Daily Show,' 'Homeland,' 'Elementary'
- Hear a never-released George Carlin bit about hating the police
- The Weeknd teases new music
- Jennifer Holliday joining 'The Color Purple' revival
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...