Writer-director Michael Petroni’s metaphysical drama, set in Australia’s countryside, explores the mystical romance between an anguished psychologist (Pearce) and the mysterious woman (Bonham Carter) he meets while going to bury his father. The two beautifully portray tormented souls who struggle with their memories, but their performances, and our attention, are smothered by the film’s sluggish pace and its overly dreamy screenplay, neither of which allows the story to come alive. EXTRAS The usual supplementary features are as nonexistent as the film’s sense of excitement.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Drama, Romance; Starring: Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, Frank Gallacher, Brooke Harmon; Director: Michael Petroni; Author: Michael Petroni; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Classics
Posted July 18 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE drops Gavin DeGraw collaboration 'Brother'—exclusive premiere
- Disney Junior to intro Elena of Avalor, its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters