Writer-director Michael Petroni’s metaphysical drama, set in Australia’s countryside, explores the mystical romance between an anguished psychologist (Pearce) and the mysterious woman (Bonham Carter) he meets while going to bury his father. The two beautifully portray tormented souls who struggle with their memories, but their performances, and our attention, are smothered by the film’s sluggish pace and its overly dreamy screenplay, neither of which allows the story to come alive. EXTRAS The usual supplementary features are as nonexistent as the film’s sense of excitement.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Drama, Romance; Starring: Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, Frank Gallacher, Brooke Harmon; Director: Michael Petroni; Author: Michael Petroni; Release Date Limited: 02/21/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Classics
Posted July 18 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Academy head on 'Birth of a Nation': People need to judge the movie
- Sam Mendes, Nick Hornby in talks for live-action 'James and the Giant Peach'
- Vincent D'Onofrio, Dean Norris join Eli Roth's 'Death Wish' remake
- Tim Kaine attacks Donald Trump for calling Hillary Clinton a 'bigot'
- Helen Mirren in talks for Disney's 'Nutcracker and the Four Realms'
- Eva Longoria to direct 'Jane the Virgin' episode
- Rio police charge Ryan Lochte with making false robbery report