Writer-director Michael Petroni’s metaphysical drama, set in Australia’s countryside, explores the mystical romance between an anguished psychologist (Pearce) and the mysterious woman (Bonham Carter) he meets while going to bury his father. The two beautifully portray tormented souls who struggle with their memories, but their performances, and our attention, are smothered by the film’s sluggish pace and its overly dreamy screenplay, neither of which allows the story to come alive. EXTRAS The usual supplementary features are as nonexistent as the film’s sense of excitement.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Drama, Romance; Starring: Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, Frank Gallacher, Brooke Harmon; Director: Michael Petroni; Author: Michael Petroni; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Classics
Posted July 18 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!