Writer-director Michael Petroni’s metaphysical drama, set in Australia’s countryside, explores the mystical romance between an anguished psychologist (Pearce) and the mysterious woman (Bonham Carter) he meets while going to bury his father. The two beautifully portray tormented souls who struggle with their memories, but their performances, and our attention, are smothered by the film’s sluggish pace and its overly dreamy screenplay, neither of which allows the story to come alive. EXTRAS The usual supplementary features are as nonexistent as the film’s sense of excitement.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Drama, Romance; Starring: Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, Frank Gallacher, Brooke Harmon; Director: Michael Petroni; Author: Michael Petroni; Release Date Limited: 02/21/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Classics
Posted July 18 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Advocacy group criticizes 'The Martian' for changing Asian-American characters
- Julie Plec blogs the season 3 premiere of 'The Originals'
- Luke Evans, Henry Cavill join Nicholas Hoult in 'Sand Castle'
- This new preview of 'Room' will make you want to call your mom
- Julie's Diary: Julie Plec blogs the 'Vampire Diaries' season 7 premiere
- 'Game of Thrones' cast speculates about season 6 (and beyond) at NYCC
- 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' adds a new cast member