Writer-director Michael Petroni’s metaphysical drama, set in Australia’s countryside, explores the mystical romance between an anguished psychologist (Pearce) and the mysterious woman (Bonham Carter) he meets while going to bury his father. The two beautifully portray tormented souls who struggle with their memories, but their performances, and our attention, are smothered by the film’s sluggish pace and its overly dreamy screenplay, neither of which allows the story to come alive. EXTRAS The usual supplementary features are as nonexistent as the film’s sense of excitement.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Drama, Romance; Starring: Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, Frank Gallacher, Brooke Harmon; Director: Michael Petroni; Author: Michael Petroni; Release Date Limited: 02/21/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Classics
Posted July 18 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Creed,' 'Empire,' 'Black-ish' win big at NAACP Image Awards
- Ethan Hawke to play resurrected assassin in '24 Hours to Live'
- CBS orders medical drama pilot 'Sensory' from Ridley Scott, David Zabel
- The Originals: Julie Plec blogs the return of Josh
- Julie's Diary: 'Vampire Diaries' boss goes behind the scenes on Paul Wesley-directed episode
- What if movies ended when someone spoke the title?
- Lady Gaga to be honored by Grammy Museum