Writer-director Michael Petroni’s metaphysical drama, set in Australia’s countryside, explores the mystical romance between an anguished psychologist (Pearce) and the mysterious woman (Bonham Carter) he meets while going to bury his father. The two beautifully portray tormented souls who struggle with their memories, but their performances, and our attention, are smothered by the film’s sluggish pace and its overly dreamy screenplay, neither of which allows the story to come alive. EXTRAS The usual supplementary features are as nonexistent as the film’s sense of excitement.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Drama, Romance; Starring: Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce, Frank Gallacher, Brooke Harmon; Director: Michael Petroni; Author: Michael Petroni; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Classics
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Watch Daft Punk's ode to Nile Rodgers from new documentary
- Jason Reitman hosting 'Mad Men' live read, finale screening
- Hear Barenaked Ladies' '90s alt-ballad 'Say What You Want'
- 'The Originals' star: Season 2 finale sets up 'a whole new show'
- Jenny Slate, Ari Graynor to star in FX road-trip comedy fro 'Obvious Child' team'
- D'Angelo announces U.S. dates for Second Coming tour