Before she imagined the 17th century of Vermeer in her elegant 2000 best-seller, Girl With a Pearl Earring, Chevalier experimented more ambitiously, if less gracefully, with historical fantasy. Her first novel, previously published in Britain in 1997, interlaces past and present in ways akin to A.S. Byatt’s Possession: A modern young American woman, transplanted with her architect husband to a pretty, small town near Toulouse, discovers an amazing connection (of fate, psyche, and miraculous change of hair color) to a 16th-century ancestor. Between stretches of teacherly historical detail, Chevalier takes broad shots at contemporary clashes of culture and character. A Frenchman says, ”You’re not fat. Why aren’t you like every other American?” The American replies, ”Are you proud of what happened in Algeria?” A comedian on late-night TV would be less glib.
The Virgin Blue Before she imagined the 17th century of Vermeer in her elegant 2000 best-seller, Girl With a Pearl Earring, Chevalier experimented more ambitiously, if...The Virgin BlueFictionTracy Chevalier Before she imagined the 17th century of Vermeer in her elegant 2000 best-seller, Girl With a Pearl Earring, Chevalier experimented more ambitiously, if...2003-07-18
Genre: Fiction; Author: Tracy Chevalier
Posted July 18 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Everything you should live stream from Lollapalooza this weekend
- How Ice Cube's son really got his breakout role in 'Straight Outta Compton'
- See EWwy campaign posters for the best comedic actor nominees
- Jason Bateman is suspicious of Joel Edgerton in exclusive clip of 'The Gift'
- 'X-Men' alum Famke Janssen joins 'How to Get Away with Murder'
- Bottoms up! Here's your 'Bachelor in Paradise' drinking game
- New Dirk Gently TV show in the works from Chronicle writer
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!