Hunnam, scrubbed and blond and bland, plays the title role in Douglas McGrath’s adaptation of the Dickens masterpiece. Young Nickleby, buoyed by a misfit bunch of fiercely loyal friends, is a fatherless 19-year-old battling a cruel world. And wouldn’t you know it – his foes are more interesting than our band of heroes. Plummer is fun as a toxic benefactor, but Juliet Stevenson, who plays a beast of a schoolmarm, gives an otherwise mild-mannered movie some real bite. EXTRAS Superfluous. In conversations with the cast and crew, we learn this actor is delightful, that actress has quite a future, and Dickens wrote like a dream.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Jamie Bell, Charlie Hunnam, Christopher Plummer, Jim Broadbent, Alan Cumming, Anne Hathaway, Nathan Lane, Miranda Richardson; Director: Douglas McGrath; Author: Douglas McGrath; Release Date Limited: 12/27/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 1; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted July 25 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Steve Carell joins Woody Allen's next movie, replacing Bruce Willis
- 'Complications' canceled at USA
- 'No Escape' reviews: What are the critics saying?
- Darren Criss & Aaron Tveit duet 'Take Me or Leave Me' from 'Rent'
- Julian Seinfeld's lemonade stand shut down by the police
- J.K. Rowling applauds 'Harry Potter' stars' Twitter rivalry
- 'NCIS: LA' sneak peek: Callen is going rogue
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!