Hunnam, scrubbed and blond and bland, plays the title role in Douglas McGrath’s adaptation of the Dickens masterpiece. Young Nickleby, buoyed by a misfit bunch of fiercely loyal friends, is a fatherless 19-year-old battling a cruel world. And wouldn’t you know it – his foes are more interesting than our band of heroes. Plummer is fun as a toxic benefactor, but Juliet Stevenson, who plays a beast of a schoolmarm, gives an otherwise mild-mannered movie some real bite. EXTRAS Superfluous. In conversations with the cast and crew, we learn this actor is delightful, that actress has quite a future, and Dickens wrote like a dream.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Jamie Bell, Charlie Hunnam, Christopher Plummer, Jim Broadbent, Alan Cumming, Anne Hathaway, Nathan Lane, Miranda Richardson; Director: Douglas McGrath; Author: Douglas McGrath; Runtime (in minutes): 1; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Miguel faces lawsuit from victim of his failed Billboard Music Awards leap
- Syfy and Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television developing 'Brave New World' series
- 'Nick Arcade' creators reunite for new game show on Kickstarter
- 'Criminal Minds' finale sneak peek: Will the BAU find Kate's daughter?
- 'Once Upon a Time' finale first look: Who's going to die?
- Chipotle essay contest for students lets winners get published -- on Chipotle cups
- Mariah Carey to perform at 2015 Billboard Music Awards
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!