Jonas Akerlund’s look at a circle of SoCal methamphetamine addicts is populated by young actors with one stunning performance behind them – Schwartzman in Rushmore, Mena Suvari in American Beauty, Patrick Fugit in Almost Famous – who have yet to realize that early promise. As for a frenzied John Leguizamo… well, that just seems redundant. As is Spun, ultimately, which comes on the heels of The Salton Sea, a vastly more thoughtful rendering of the speed-freak milieu. EXTRAS Ironically, it’s ’80s wunderkind-gone-to-seed Mickey Rourke who steals what there is of a show, most hilariously in an alternate trailer and deleted scene, as an ersatz television chef instructing his viewers in the stove-top joys of cranking.
Genre: Drama; Starring: John Leguizamo, Brittany Murphy, Mickey Rourke, Jason Schwartzman, Mena Suvari, Patrick Fugit, Deborah Harry, Ron Jeremy, Eric Roberts, Peter Stormare; Director: Jonas Akerlund; Author: Will De Los Santos, Creighton Vero; Runtime (in minutes): 96; Distributor: New Market
Posted July 25 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!