Jonas Akerlund’s look at a circle of SoCal methamphetamine addicts is populated by young actors with one stunning performance behind them – Schwartzman in Rushmore, Mena Suvari in American Beauty, Patrick Fugit in Almost Famous – who have yet to realize that early promise. As for a frenzied John Leguizamo… well, that just seems redundant. As is Spun, ultimately, which comes on the heels of The Salton Sea, a vastly more thoughtful rendering of the speed-freak milieu. EXTRAS Ironically, it’s ’80s wunderkind-gone-to-seed Mickey Rourke who steals what there is of a show, most hilariously in an alternate trailer and deleted scene, as an ersatz television chef instructing his viewers in the stove-top joys of cranking.
Genre: Drama; Starring: John Leguizamo, Brittany Murphy, Mickey Rourke, Jason Schwartzman, Mena Suvari, Patrick Fugit, Deborah Harry, Ron Jeremy, Eric Roberts, Peter Stormare; Director: Jonas Akerlund; Author: Will De Los Santos, Creighton Vero; Runtime (in minutes): 96; Distributor: New Market
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Game of Thrones,' 'SHIELD,' 'Arrow' and more
- Gone Girl writer Gillian Flynn to collaborate with Steve McQueen on heist thriller
- 'Sherlock' season 4: 'Frightening, tough, emotional upheaval'
- 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone' illustrated edition cover art revealed
- 'Castle' sneak peek: Did Beckett and Castle just dig their own graves?
- Limp Bizkit's Fred Durst reminds everyone he is not Robert Durst
- Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool...on a bearskin rug: 'With great power, comes great irresponsibility'
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!