Jonas Akerlund’s look at a circle of SoCal methamphetamine addicts is populated by young actors with one stunning performance behind them – Schwartzman in Rushmore, Mena Suvari in American Beauty, Patrick Fugit in Almost Famous – who have yet to realize that early promise. As for a frenzied John Leguizamo… well, that just seems redundant. As is Spun, ultimately, which comes on the heels of The Salton Sea, a vastly more thoughtful rendering of the speed-freak milieu. EXTRAS Ironically, it’s ’80s wunderkind-gone-to-seed Mickey Rourke who steals what there is of a show, most hilariously in an alternate trailer and deleted scene, as an ersatz television chef instructing his viewers in the stove-top joys of cranking.
Genre: Drama; Starring: John Leguizamo, Brittany Murphy, Mickey Rourke, Jason Schwartzman, Mena Suvari, Patrick Fugit, Deborah Harry, Ron Jeremy, Eric Roberts, Peter Stormare; Director: Jonas Akerlund; Author: Will De Los Santos, Creighton Vero; Release Date Limited: 03/14/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 96; Distributor: New Market
Posted July 25 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bruce Springsteen brings a little girl on stage during show
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen weighs in on jury house drama
- Who killed Andrea on 'The Night Of'?
- Justin Theroux guessed Emily Blunt was pregnant on 'Train' set
- '7th Heaven' stars look back on show for 20th anniversary
- 'Law & Order': Steven Hill remembered with binge-a-thon
- 10 under-the-radar singles from emerging artists