Jacket copy can’t do this book justice. In her second novel, British author Heller (Everything You Know) elevates a tabloid-worthy tale of obsession into an intense, witty, literary page-turner. Narrator Barbara Covett is a prim, lonely, 60ish schoolteacher who painstakingly pursues a close friendship with a vivacious new art teacher, Sheba Hart. But soon after her arrival, 41-year-old Sheba begins a torrid affair with a 16-year-old male pupil, and Barbara quickly feels betrayed. Though Sheba’s demise is apparent, Heller brilliantly teases out the details of the scandal and fleshes out the increasingly sinister Barbara, who rivals Patricia Highsmith’s Tom Ripley in spine-chilling creepiness.
What Was She Thinking?: Notes on a Scandal Jacket copy can't do this book justice. In her second novel, British author Heller (Everything You Know) elevates a tabloid-worthy tale of obsession...What Was She Thinking?: Notes on a ScandalFictionZoe Heller Jacket copy can't do this book justice. In her second novel, British author Heller (Everything You Know) elevates a tabloid-worthy tale of obsession...2003-07-25
Genre: Fiction; Author: Zoe Heller
Posted July 25 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!