These 31 tracks from six labels begin with Simone’s 1959 hit (Gershwin’s ”I Loves You Porgy”) and end with 1993’s return-from-exile ”A Single Woman.” The singer and pianist’s unclassifiable allure is evidenced by 1957’s definitively swinging ”My Baby Just Cares for Me”; 1964’s politically charged ”Mississippi Goddam”; a gut-wrenching ”Strange Fruit” (1965); and a tender 1971 take on George Harrison’s ”Here Comes the Sun.” Even the final cut’s schmaltzy strings can’t dim Simone’s star.
Nina Simone Anthology These 31 tracks from six labels begin with Simone's 1959 hit (Gershwin's ''I Loves You Porgy'') and end with 1993's return-from-exile ''A Single Woman.'...Nina Simone Anthology These 31 tracks from six labels begin with Simone's 1959 hit (Gershwin's ''I Loves You Porgy'') and end with 1993's return-from-exile ''A Single Woman.'...2003-08-01
Lead Performer: Nina Simone; Producer (group): RCA
Posted August 1 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- Katy Perry's Left Shark returns for Shark Week
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!