These 31 tracks from six labels begin with Simone’s 1959 hit (Gershwin’s ”I Loves You Porgy”) and end with 1993’s return-from-exile ”A Single Woman.” The singer and pianist’s unclassifiable allure is evidenced by 1957’s definitively swinging ”My Baby Just Cares for Me”; 1964’s politically charged ”Mississippi Goddam”; a gut-wrenching ”Strange Fruit” (1965); and a tender 1971 take on George Harrison’s ”Here Comes the Sun.” Even the final cut’s schmaltzy strings can’t dim Simone’s star.
Nina Simone Anthology These 31 tracks from six labels begin with Simone's 1959 hit (Gershwin's ''I Loves You Porgy'') and end with 1993's return-from-exile ''A Single Woman.'...Nina Simone Anthology These 31 tracks from six labels begin with Simone's 1959 hit (Gershwin's ''I Loves You Porgy'') and end with 1993's return-from-exile ''A Single Woman.'...2003-08-01
Lead Performer: Nina Simone; Producer (group): RCA
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More