These 31 tracks from six labels begin with Simone’s 1959 hit (Gershwin’s ”I Loves You Porgy”) and end with 1993’s return-from-exile ”A Single Woman.” The singer and pianist’s unclassifiable allure is evidenced by 1957’s definitively swinging ”My Baby Just Cares for Me”; 1964’s politically charged ”Mississippi Goddam”; a gut-wrenching ”Strange Fruit” (1965); and a tender 1971 take on George Harrison’s ”Here Comes the Sun.” Even the final cut’s schmaltzy strings can’t dim Simone’s star.
Nina Simone Anthology These 31 tracks from six labels begin with Simone's 1959 hit (Gershwin's ''I Loves You Porgy'') and end with 1993's return-from-exile ''A Single Woman.'...Nina Simone Anthology These 31 tracks from six labels begin with Simone's 1959 hit (Gershwin's ''I Loves You Porgy'') and end with 1993's return-from-exile ''A Single Woman.'...2003-08-01
Lead Performer: Nina Simone; Producer (group): RCA
Posted August 1 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Nicolas Cage doesn’t regret turning down 'Lord of the Rings' role
- Why Kate Winslet was nervous to meet the real Joanna Hoffman for 'Steve Jobs'
- See Taylor Swift and Charli XCX perform 'Boom Clap' in Toronto
- See 'The Night Before' stars spoof 'Big' in new clip
- Box office report: 'The Martian' lifts off with $55 million
- 'Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz' tour details revealed
- Visit the 'Miracle' town in new 'The Leftovers' season 2 teasers