If you’re a loyal reader of Entertainment Weekly, you really should check out Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. For the love of Gleiberman, it even uses EW’s review of ”Vanilla Sky” as a platform to discuss cinematic notions of reality. Chuck Klosterman, who previously explored his native North Dakota’s music scene in 2001’s ”Fargo Rock City,” now uses his disturbingly thorough knowledge of pop culture to explain how MTV creates rather than reflects youth culture (”’The Real World’ is the real world is ‘The Real World’ is the real world”), invent TV equivalents for bands (”U2 is ‘M*A*S*H”’ because ”both got preachy at the end”), and champion the new country (”Teenage girls are the new teenage boys, which is why the Dixie Chicks are the new Van Halen, which is why country music is awesome”). If reference-laden tautologies make you run away faster than you can say ”Dennis Miller,” get out your track shoes. Otherwise, this book is Hot Sheet.
Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture ManifestoIf you're a loyal reader of Entertainment Weekly, you really should check out Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. For the love of Gleiberman, it even uses...Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture ManifestoNonfictionChuck KlostermanIf you're a loyal reader of Entertainment Weekly, you really should check out Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. For the love of Gleiberman, it even uses...2003-08-01Scribner
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Chuck Klosterman; Publisher: Scribner
Posted August 1 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Frozen' musical selects city for world premiere before Broadway
- 'The Big Bang Theory' shocker: Bernadette's big news!
- Here are all the featured artists on Kanye West's new album
- 'Deadpool' screenwriters 'trying to get a jump on' sequel
- Martin Shkreli wants to be the sole owner of Kanye West's new album
- See a preview of Kanye West's videogame, about his mother going to heaven
- Box office preview: 'Deadpool' to demolish 'Zoolander 2,' 'How To Be Single'
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996