If you’re a loyal reader of Entertainment Weekly, you really should check out Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. For the love of Gleiberman, it even uses EW’s review of ”Vanilla Sky” as a platform to discuss cinematic notions of reality. Chuck Klosterman, who previously explored his native North Dakota’s music scene in 2001’s ”Fargo Rock City,” now uses his disturbingly thorough knowledge of pop culture to explain how MTV creates rather than reflects youth culture (”’The Real World’ is the real world is ‘The Real World’ is the real world”), invent TV equivalents for bands (”U2 is ‘M*A*S*H”’ because ”both got preachy at the end”), and champion the new country (”Teenage girls are the new teenage boys, which is why the Dixie Chicks are the new Van Halen, which is why country music is awesome”). If reference-laden tautologies make you run away faster than you can say ”Dennis Miller,” get out your track shoes. Otherwise, this book is Hot Sheet.
Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture ManifestoIf you're a loyal reader of Entertainment Weekly, you really should check out Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. For the love of Gleiberman, it even uses...Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture ManifestoNonfictionChuck KlostermanIf you're a loyal reader of Entertainment Weekly, you really should check out Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. For the love of Gleiberman, it even uses...2003-08-01Scribner
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Chuck Klosterman; Publisher: Scribner
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Outlander' postmortem: EP Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany on season premiere choking and spanking
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!