More like accumulation, since this $69.92 set throws together four of Barbra’s disparate movies (all available separately). The keeper is 1972’s screwball homage What’s Up, Doc? in which Streisand and Ryan O’Neal mug amusingly while Madeline Kahn steals the show as Eunice, red-wigged fiancee from hell. Also noteworthy: the 1972 feminist-revolution curio Up the Sandbox, with Streisand as a housewife whose daydreams include bedding Fidel Castro and toppling the Statue of Liberty. Streisand provides two cursory 10-minute commentaries (for Doc and for 1979’s wretched O’Neal reunion The Main Event, pictured) and two full-length ones, for Sandbox and the 1987 courtroom drama Nuts. They range from honest and intimate to obtuse and egotistical: Listen as she second-guesses her directors while claiming to honor their visions, and slams female critics as being ”harder on women,” namely Babs. If that smells like catnip, pounce. Otherwise, go find Funny Girl and The Way We Were.
The Streisand Collection More like accumulation, since this $69.92 set throws together four of Barbra's disparate movies (all available separately). The keeper is 1972's...The Streisand Collection More like accumulation, since this $69.92 set throws together four of Barbra's disparate movies (all available separately). The keeper is 1972's...2003-08-01
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More