Griffith must keep a dog-eared paperback copy of John Kennedy Toole’s A Confederacy of Dunces at his desk. Ignatius Reilly, Confederacy’s corpulent hot-dog-vendor hero, even has a nonspeaking walk-on in ”Zugzwang,” a meaty tale about an oafish father not pleased to be playing a rook in his chess-prodigy son’s giant-people-size match at a parish fair. Although the other stories are similarly offbeat pearls, the title novella – ornately imagined, if a little long – is the one that most emulates the Confederacy style: In a yarn about a ”sex cop” at a Louisiana university library who patrols the stacks with an alarm bell, Griffith offers comedy as broad, and pathos as hefty, as Ignatius’ fat belly.
Bibliophilia Griffith must keep a dog-eared paperback copy of John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces at his desk. Ignatius Reilly, Confederacy's corpulent hot...BibliophiliaFictionMichael Griffith Griffith must keep a dog-eared paperback copy of John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces at his desk. Ignatius Reilly, Confederacy's corpulent hot...2003-08-08
Genre: Fiction; Author: Michael Griffith
Posted August 8 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!