Any foodie worth his coarse salt remembers – in mouthwatering detail – every flavor that shaped his palate. So it goes with chef-restaurateur Jeremiah Tower, who recounts with world-weary relish ”what I saw (and cooked) at the American culinary revolution” – i.e., the memorable meals on his journey from childhood gourmet to godfather of California’s New American cuisine in the ’80s and ’90s. Tower recalls his days at Chez Panisse with Alice Waters (with whom he’s enjoyed a rocky, if rewarding, relationship) and at Stars, his own San Francisco brasserie. Between mouthfuls of champagne and cannabis cookies (recipe included!), Tower muses on the sensuality of good ingredients, the comfort of white truffles, and the disarming intimacy of a naked lunch. Favorite morsel of wisdom: Beef, he instructs, is always safe ”when served with Lafite.”
California Dish Any foodie worth his coarse salt remembers -- in mouthwatering detail -- every flavor that shaped his palate. So it goes with chef-restaurateur...California DishNonfictionJeremiah Tower Any foodie worth his coarse salt remembers -- in mouthwatering detail -- every flavor that shaped his palate. So it goes with chef-restaurateur...2003-08-08
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Jeremiah Tower
Posted August 8 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jimmy Kimmel addresses 'avalanche' of backlash from video game sketch
- Ben Hatke previews new graphic novel as 'a little book in a big world'
- See the trailer for 'Animorphs' author's next book, 'Crenshaw' -- exclusive
- 'Being Mary Jane' season 3 gets premiere date, adds guest stars Loretta Devine and Jill Scott
- See the new trailer for Eli Roth's 'Knock Knock'
- Listen to Jesse Eisenberg read about Carmelo Anthony in 'Bream Gives Me Hiccups' -- exclusive
- Shadowman returns to the Valiant Universe in 'Operation: Deadside'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!