Any foodie worth his coarse salt remembers – in mouthwatering detail – every flavor that shaped his palate. So it goes with chef-restaurateur Jeremiah Tower, who recounts with world-weary relish ”what I saw (and cooked) at the American culinary revolution” – i.e., the memorable meals on his journey from childhood gourmet to godfather of California’s New American cuisine in the ’80s and ’90s. Tower recalls his days at Chez Panisse with Alice Waters (with whom he’s enjoyed a rocky, if rewarding, relationship) and at Stars, his own San Francisco brasserie. Between mouthfuls of champagne and cannabis cookies (recipe included!), Tower muses on the sensuality of good ingredients, the comfort of white truffles, and the disarming intimacy of a naked lunch. Favorite morsel of wisdom: Beef, he instructs, is always safe ”when served with Lafite.”
California Dish Any foodie worth his coarse salt remembers -- in mouthwatering detail -- every flavor that shaped his palate. So it goes with chef-restaurateur...California DishNonfictionJeremiah Tower Any foodie worth his coarse salt remembers -- in mouthwatering detail -- every flavor that shaped his palate. So it goes with chef-restaurateur...2003-08-08
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Jeremiah Tower
Posted August 8 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump at DNC: 'We don’t look to be ruled'
- 'Con Man': Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion want a ‘Spectrum’ movie
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels