A lot happens to shy Bean Jessup in the course of this novel, A Hole in the Heart. First she flees her unfocused postcollege life and chilly family in San Francisco to head to Eyak, Alaska, a tiny fishing village desperate for substitute teachers. Most locals ignore her because she hasn’t yet lasted five winters there. But Mick doesn’t. Soon she marries him. Then he dies climbing Mount McKinley. And Christopher Marquis, a ”New York Times” reporter, isn’t even halfway into his story, an intimate look at Bean’s journey from passivity to independence through numerous plot turns and a sprawling cast. Eyak’s small-town quirks draw you in, but Marquis’ stunning narrative pace makes Hole a rare find: an action-packed character study.
A Hole in the HeartA lot happens to shy Bean Jessup in the course of this novel, A Hole in the Heart. First she flees her unfocused postcollege life and chilly...A Hole in the HeartFictionChristopher MarquisA lot happens to shy Bean Jessup in the course of this novel, A Hole in the Heart. First she flees her unfocused postcollege life and chilly...2003-08-08
Genre: Fiction; Author: Christopher Marquis
Posted August 8 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump at DNC: 'We don’t look to be ruled'
- 'Con Man': Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion want a ‘Spectrum’ movie
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels