A lot happens to shy Bean Jessup in the course of this novel, A Hole in the Heart. First she flees her unfocused postcollege life and chilly family in San Francisco to head to Eyak, Alaska, a tiny fishing village desperate for substitute teachers. Most locals ignore her because she hasn’t yet lasted five winters there. But Mick doesn’t. Soon she marries him. Then he dies climbing Mount McKinley. And Christopher Marquis, a ”New York Times” reporter, isn’t even halfway into his story, an intimate look at Bean’s journey from passivity to independence through numerous plot turns and a sprawling cast. Eyak’s small-town quirks draw you in, but Marquis’ stunning narrative pace makes Hole a rare find: an action-packed character study.
A Hole in the HeartA lot happens to shy Bean Jessup in the course of this novel, A Hole in the Heart. First she flees her unfocused postcollege life and chilly...A Hole in the HeartFictionChristopher MarquisA lot happens to shy Bean Jessup in the course of this novel, A Hole in the Heart. First she flees her unfocused postcollege life and chilly...2003-08-08
Genre: Fiction; Author: Christopher Marquis
Posted August 8 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!