A lot happens to shy Bean Jessup in the course of this novel, A Hole in the Heart. First she flees her unfocused postcollege life and chilly family in San Francisco to head to Eyak, Alaska, a tiny fishing village desperate for substitute teachers. Most locals ignore her because she hasn’t yet lasted five winters there. But Mick doesn’t. Soon she marries him. Then he dies climbing Mount McKinley. And Christopher Marquis, a ”New York Times” reporter, isn’t even halfway into his story, an intimate look at Bean’s journey from passivity to independence through numerous plot turns and a sprawling cast. Eyak’s small-town quirks draw you in, but Marquis’ stunning narrative pace makes Hole a rare find: an action-packed character study.
A Hole in the HeartA lot happens to shy Bean Jessup in the course of this novel, A Hole in the Heart. First she flees her unfocused postcollege life and chilly...A Hole in the HeartFictionChristopher MarquisA lot happens to shy Bean Jessup in the course of this novel, A Hole in the Heart. First she flees her unfocused postcollege life and chilly...2003-08-08
Genre: Fiction; Author: Christopher Marquis
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- The cast of 'Bates Motel' sums up the show's plot in 30 seconds
- 'Ant-Man' poster highlights new characters
- Harper Lee's 'Go Set a Watchman' gets endorsement from News Corp CEO
- BBC America sets summer premiere date for 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell'
- Kellie Pickler covers Tammy Wynette's 'Stand By Your Man'
- Jimmy Kimmel makes fake commercial for Met Gala 'Rihanket'
- 'Chicken Run' director sets up next film
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Taylor Swift, Cate Blanchett, James Marsden & More!