In 2000’s The Dress Lodger, Holman was as seductive as a siren with her brutal, bleak tale of a desperate woman in 19th-century England. Here, Holman goes modern and folksy, although she’s still following desperate women: Margaret, a struggling Virginia farm owner (and maker of the titular cheese); Polly, Margaret’s rebellious teenage daughter; and their neighbor Manda, who, thanks to the wonders of fertility drugs, gives birth to 11 children. It basically adds up to things-can-get-tough-but-ain’t-life-grand – a disappointment from a writer too gifted to settle for merely warming our hearts. With Cheese, Holman has dulled her edges so that there’s nothing to snag the reader.
The Mammoth Cheese In 2000's The Dress Lodger, Holman was as seductive as a siren with her brutal, bleak tale of a desperate woman in 19th-century England. Here, Holman...The Mammoth CheeseFictionSheri Holman In 2000's The Dress Lodger, Holman was as seductive as a siren with her brutal, bleak tale of a desperate woman in 19th-century England. Here, Holman...2003-08-08Atlantic Monthly Press
Genre: Fiction; Author: Sheri Holman; Publisher: Atlantic Monthly Press
Posted August 8 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!