Elizabeth George has mastered the British mystery so well that you’d never guess she’s American. The 12 books in her Lynley series are woven together in intricate but seamless patterns; a small group of characters – like Thomas Lynley, acting superintendent of New Scotland Yard – recur, sometimes claiming the spotlight, other times retreating to the shadows. A Place of Hiding centers on forensic scientist Simon St. James and his wife, Deborah, who are stunned when an old friend of Deborah’s is jailed in Guernsey, charged with the murder of an eccentric philanthropist. As they travel to the isolated Channel Island to help her, the story unspools in classic George fashion: Nothing is what you’d expect; the twists are complex, often unspeakably dark; and the end, when it comes, defies prediction and yet makes perfect sense. The previous two Lynley novels seemed too dense for newcomers, but that’s not the case here. And while the St. Jameses are not as vivid as some of George’s other regulars, that’s a minor quibble. This is mystery writing at its most complex and intelligent.
A Place of HidingElizabeth George has mastered the British mystery so well that you'd never guess she's American. The 12 books in her Lynley series are woven together in...A Place of HidingMystery and Thriller, FictionElizabeth GeorgeElizabeth George has mastered the British mystery so well that you'd never guess she's American. The 12 books in her Lynley series are woven together in...2003-08-08Bantam
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Elizabeth George; Publisher: Bantam
Posted August 8 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ethan Hawke to play resurrected assassin in '24 Hours to Live'
- CBS orders medical drama pilot 'Sensory' from Ridley Scott, David Zabel
- The Originals: Julie Plec blogs the return of Josh
- Julie's Diary: 'Vampire Diaries' boss goes behind the scenes on Paul Wesley-directed episode
- What if movies ended when someone spoke the title?
- Lady Gaga to be honored by Grammy Museum
- CineFix ranks the 10 best final film shots of all time