At a recent showing of 28 Days Later, a vast majority of the audience got up and left the theater well before the closing credits stopped rolling. None of those people, in other words, bothered to sit through the downbeat ”alternate” ending that was tagged onto Danny Boyle’s zombie thriller starting July 25. I can’t say their lives will be any less rich for it. The revamped 28 Days Later may, in essence, have been a marketing ploy, but I still hoped that Boyle, by restoring the gloomier finale that had divided test audiences, would cast a no-future spell. Alas, the new version ends not with an apocalyptic bang but with a whimper of soggy pessimism. (Fear not: I won’t spoil the anticlimax.) Perhaps now alternate endings will stay put on DVD, where they belong.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Naomie Harris, Noah Huntley, Cillian Murphy, Megan Burns, Christopher Eccleston, Brendan Gleeson; Director: Danny Boyle; Author: Alex Garland; Release Date Wide: 06/27/2003; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted August 8 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Sarah Michelle Gellar wonders if daughter could be a ‘Future Slayer’
- Ronda Rousey pays tribute to ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper
- British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies at 72
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!