At a recent showing of 28 Days Later, a vast majority of the audience got up and left the theater well before the closing credits stopped rolling. None of those people, in other words, bothered to sit through the downbeat ”alternate” ending that was tagged onto Danny Boyle’s zombie thriller starting July 25. I can’t say their lives will be any less rich for it. The revamped 28 Days Later may, in essence, have been a marketing ploy, but I still hoped that Boyle, by restoring the gloomier finale that had divided test audiences, would cast a no-future spell. Alas, the new version ends not with an apocalyptic bang but with a whimper of soggy pessimism. (Fear not: I won’t spoil the anticlimax.) Perhaps now alternate endings will stay put on DVD, where they belong.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Naomie Harris, Noah Huntley, Cillian Murphy, Megan Burns, Christopher Eccleston, Brendan Gleeson; Director: Danny Boyle; Author: Alex Garland; Release Date Wide: 06/27/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted August 8 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Rob Thomas returns with killer single 'Trust You,' shares details of new solo album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Can Tyrion be trusted on 'Game of Thrones'?
- Kim and Kanye: It's their 1st anniversary
- 'Winter Is Coming Live' recaps the latest 'Game of Thrones' episode, 'The Gift'
- 'Gilmore Girls' movie? Scott Patterson hints at 'some activity'
- Former Virgins frontman Donald Cumming debuts dreamy ballad 'In The Early Hours' -- exclusive
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!