It’s too tempting to wag a feminist finger at Bynes’ go-girl ”find yourself” Cinderella story. Her long-lost dad is, conveniently, a rich British lord who, natch, wants to give her a makeover! She shakes up his fuddy life…by taking him shopping! And ultimately, what she really seems to want is a cute English boyfriend. Firth (he who played Mr. Darcy!) embarrasses himself (yes, he air-guitars in front of a mirror), and Bynes, though likable, is merely Sandra Dee dressed up in belly-baring low-riders. Still, the tweens love it. And it’s just a cute little movie – right? EXTRAS A game in which you re-create Bynes’ various outfits trumps her chirpy, I-love-everybody commentary.
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Amanda Bynes, Colin Firth, Kelly Preston, Eileen Atkins, Anna Chancellor, Oliver James, Jonathan Pryce; Director: Dennie Gordon; Author: Jenny Bicks; Release Date Wide: 04/04/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 1; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted August 8 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel