Is it wrong to expect more from Chris Rock? One would hope that for his feature debut as a director-cowriter, Rock would bring the cutting-edge intellect evident in his blistering stand-up to bear on the story of a black candidate’s run for President. Instead, we’re treated to one of the most predictable, obvious comedies in a long time. How do we know that Rock’s Mays Gilliam is having the worst day of his life? Because it rains on him. Duh. There are brief moments of inspiration – like every time Bernie Mac appears as Rock’s heavy-hitting brother/running mate – but they’re too few and far between to earn a vote. EXTRAS Skip Rock’s mildly informative commentary and look for the one deleted scene that gives a taste of the comic genius we know and love.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Bernie Mac, Chris Rock, Dylan Baker, Robin Givens, Tamala Jones, Tracy Morgan, Nate Dogg, James Rebhorn, Nick Searcy, Lynn Whitfield; Director: Chris Rock; Author: Ali LeRoi, Chris Rock; Release Date Wide: 03/28/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted August 15 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Black Panther vs. Winter Soldier in 'Captain America: Civil War' clip
- Beyonce postpones 'Formation' tour's Nashville concert stop
- 'The Martian' extended cut has 10 minutes of extra footage
- Woody Harrelson denied medical marijuana dispensary license: Report
- WATCH: How Ryan Gosling put Margaret Qualley at ease on 'Nice Guys'
- 'That '70s Show' cast reunite on the set of Netflix's 'The Ranch'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch