If you adore Smith’s lovely Botswana-set novels of manners (The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency, etc.), you might be tempted to pick up this collection of short fiction, which sports the same small size and boldly colored jacket. Alas, these tales about the rituals of love and dating are downright sophomoric. In ”Fat Date,” a couple argues about who is fatter, and then one gets stuck in a chair; while in ”Far North,” a woman is taken to a crocodile farm by her reprehensible date, who admires the ”hundreds and hundreds of potential handbags walking around” and then falls in the water and gets eaten. The stories all have a musty, dated feel, as if Smith wrote them 20 or 30 years ago and stashed them in a drawer. They should have been left to molder.
Heavenly Date And Other Flirtations If you adore Smith's lovely Botswana-set novels of manners (The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, etc.), you might be tempted to pick up this collection...Heavenly Date And Other FlirtationsFictionAlexander McCall Smith If you adore Smith's lovely Botswana-set novels of manners (The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, etc.), you might be tempted to pick up this collection...2003-08-15
Genre: Fiction; Author: Alexander McCall Smith
Posted August 15 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!