If you adore Smith’s lovely Botswana-set novels of manners (The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency, etc.), you might be tempted to pick up this collection of short fiction, which sports the same small size and boldly colored jacket. Alas, these tales about the rituals of love and dating are downright sophomoric. In ”Fat Date,” a couple argues about who is fatter, and then one gets stuck in a chair; while in ”Far North,” a woman is taken to a crocodile farm by her reprehensible date, who admires the ”hundreds and hundreds of potential handbags walking around” and then falls in the water and gets eaten. The stories all have a musty, dated feel, as if Smith wrote them 20 or 30 years ago and stashed them in a drawer. They should have been left to molder.
Heavenly Date And Other Flirtations If you adore Smith's lovely Botswana-set novels of manners (The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, etc.), you might be tempted to pick up this collection...Heavenly Date And Other FlirtationsFictionAlexander McCall Smith If you adore Smith's lovely Botswana-set novels of manners (The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, etc.), you might be tempted to pick up this collection...2003-08-15
Genre: Fiction; Author: Alexander McCall Smith
Posted August 15 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Green Hornet' star Van Williams dies at 82
- 'Baywatch' is hitting the beach on Memorial Day weekend
- Beyoncé was already a star at age 10, unearthed footage proves
- See Madonna twerk to 'Bitch I'm Madonna' on Carpool Karaoke
- 'Major League' star Margaret Whitton dies at 67
- 'Supergirl': Will we ever meet Earth-1 Kara Danvers?
- 'How to Train Your Dragon 3' delayed until 2019
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday