There’s a moment, about 30 minutes into The Hunted, when Oscar winners Benicio Del Toro and Tommy Jones go mano a mano with just a serrated-edge filet blade between the two of them, and director William Friedkin’s gory thriller springs ferociously alive. Most of what’s left, however, is derivative and unintentionally funny. Jones redoes his ”Fugitive” role as a combat instructor hunting his gone-loco former pupil, Del Toro, who – a bit more ambitiously – channels the whole last 20 minutes of ”Apocalypse Now,” brooding in the shadows like Brando’s Kurtz when he’s not slithering around with a knife like Martin Sheen. At least the leafy Oregon locations are pretty. EXTRAS Four documentaries, six deleted scenes, and one director’s commentary, none of them as delicious as the two rather delightfully bad lines of film dialogue preserved forever in the theatrical trailer.
(The Hunted: Andrew Cooper)
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Benicio Del Toro, Tommy Lee Jones, Connie Nielsen, Ron Canada, John Finn, Leslie Stefanson, Mark Pellegrino, Jose Zuniga; Director: William Friedkin; Author: David Griffiths, Peter Griffiths; Release Date Wide: 03/14/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!