French director Gaspar Noe’s jarringly violent, nerve-racking head trip may be one of the hardest-to-watch movies ever made. That’s obviously Noe’s provocative goal as he tells his story of love (starring real-life couple Bellucci and Cassel), brutal rape, and furious revenge that plays out over one night before, during, and after a party – in reverse, much like 2001’s ”Memento.” Using a droning score and dizzying camera work, he surrounds viewers in chaos; challenges them to turn away with unflinching, extended single-take close-ups of extreme bodily destruction; and then comforts them with domestic bliss. It’s a daring and edgy movie-watching experience, but one whose aftershock is not easily reversed. EXTRAS Two four-minute-plus swirling-camera, thumping-techno scenes of a tunnel and a party seem superfluous.
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Monica Bellucci, Vincent Cassel, Albert Dupontel, Philippe Nahon, Jo Prestia; Director: Gasper Noe; Author: Gasper Noe; Release Date Limited: 03/07/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted August 15 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston have a dance-off at the Met Gala
- 'Scandal': How Kerry Washington's pregnancy could affect the show
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival: Dan Bucatinsky shares set photos
- How to tell the difference between 'Preacher' and 'The Preachers'
- Ted Cruz compares Donald Trump to 'Back to the Future' villain Biff
- Anne Frank's story to be told in new virtual reality film
- Met Gala 2016: All the details on Claire Danes’ Zac Posen dress
- Met Gala 2016: The Best and Most Outrageous Looks
- Flashback to the 1996 Premiere of 'The Craft'
- 14 TV Cliffhangers and How They Were Resolved
- Met Gala 2016: See All the Arrivals From Manus x Machina
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt': Before They Were Stars
- 'Wayward Pines' Season 2: Exclusive Photos of the New Main Cast