French director Gaspar Noe’s jarringly violent, nerve-racking head trip may be one of the hardest-to-watch movies ever made. That’s obviously Noe’s provocative goal as he tells his story of love (starring real-life couple Bellucci and Cassel), brutal rape, and furious revenge that plays out over one night before, during, and after a party – in reverse, much like 2001’s ”Memento.” Using a droning score and dizzying camera work, he surrounds viewers in chaos; challenges them to turn away with unflinching, extended single-take close-ups of extreme bodily destruction; and then comforts them with domestic bliss. It’s a daring and edgy movie-watching experience, but one whose aftershock is not easily reversed. EXTRAS Two four-minute-plus swirling-camera, thumping-techno scenes of a tunnel and a party seem superfluous.
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Monica Bellucci, Vincent Cassel, Albert Dupontel, Philippe Nahon, Jo Prestia; Director: Gasper Noe; Author: Gasper Noe; Release Date Limited: 03/07/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted August 15 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Whitney Houston's brother remembers her iconic Super Bowl performance
- Zoolander and Hansel critique presidential candidate fashion on 'SNL'
- Bernie Sanders appears with Larry David on 'SNL'
- Danai Gurira on the big 'moment of truth' coming up on 'The Walking Dead'
- 'Bern Your Enthusiasm': Larry David stars as Bernie Sanders in 'SNL' spoof
- DGA Awards 2016: Alejandro Gonzalez Iñárritu wins for 'The Revenant'
- 'Formation' video: Beyoncé used doc footage 'with permission,' says rep