French director Gaspar Noe’s jarringly violent, nerve-racking head trip may be one of the hardest-to-watch movies ever made. That’s obviously Noe’s provocative goal as he tells his story of love (starring real-life couple Bellucci and Cassel), brutal rape, and furious revenge that plays out over one night before, during, and after a party – in reverse, much like 2001’s ”Memento.” Using a droning score and dizzying camera work, he surrounds viewers in chaos; challenges them to turn away with unflinching, extended single-take close-ups of extreme bodily destruction; and then comforts them with domestic bliss. It’s a daring and edgy movie-watching experience, but one whose aftershock is not easily reversed. EXTRAS Two four-minute-plus swirling-camera, thumping-techno scenes of a tunnel and a party seem superfluous.
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Monica Bellucci, Vincent Cassel, Albert Dupontel, Philippe Nahon, Jo Prestia; Director: Gasper Noe; Author: Gasper Noe; Release Date Limited: 03/07/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Lions Gate Films
Posted August 15 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!