Set in the ’50s in rugged-but-beautiful Wisconsin, Watson’s sixth book is as technically flawless and quietly unnerving as its inspiration: Andrew Wyeth’s famed Helga paintings. When Sonja, a Norwegian housewife whose young son has recently died, begins posing for renowned artist (and notorious womanizer) Ned Weaver, the intensity of their enigmatic relationship – and their spouses’ suspicions about it – slowly wrench both families apart. Sonja’s and Ned’s frustrations unfold in exquisitely crafted flashbacks punctured by brief, searing glimpses of the day that Sonja’s husband finally confronts the painter and his muse. Ned’s pompous rants on the Importance of His Art are Watson’s only tonal missteps in an emotional and physical landscape composed in melancholy autumnal ochers and chilly winter grays.
Orchard Set in the '50s in rugged-but-beautiful Wisconsin, Watson's sixth book is as technically flawless and quietly unnerving as its inspiration: Andrew...OrchardFictionLarry Watson Set in the '50s in rugged-but-beautiful Wisconsin, Watson's sixth book is as technically flawless and quietly unnerving as its inspiration: Andrew...2003-08-15Random House
Genre: Fiction; Author: Larry Watson; Publisher: Random House
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake thanks mom, wife, and everyone who called him 'different' accepting iHeart Radio's Innovator Award
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time' tells Maleficent's child's story
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!