Set in the ’50s in rugged-but-beautiful Wisconsin, Watson’s sixth book is as technically flawless and quietly unnerving as its inspiration: Andrew Wyeth’s famed Helga paintings. When Sonja, a Norwegian housewife whose young son has recently died, begins posing for renowned artist (and notorious womanizer) Ned Weaver, the intensity of their enigmatic relationship – and their spouses’ suspicions about it – slowly wrench both families apart. Sonja’s and Ned’s frustrations unfold in exquisitely crafted flashbacks punctured by brief, searing glimpses of the day that Sonja’s husband finally confronts the painter and his muse. Ned’s pompous rants on the Importance of His Art are Watson’s only tonal missteps in an emotional and physical landscape composed in melancholy autumnal ochers and chilly winter grays.
Orchard Set in the '50s in rugged-but-beautiful Wisconsin, Watson's sixth book is as technically flawless and quietly unnerving as its inspiration: Andrew...OrchardFictionLarry Watson Set in the '50s in rugged-but-beautiful Wisconsin, Watson's sixth book is as technically flawless and quietly unnerving as its inspiration: Andrew...2003-08-15Random House
Genre: Fiction; Author: Larry Watson; Publisher: Random House
Posted August 15 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stephen King releases 'Drunken Fireworks' audiobook
- Casting Net: Julia Roberts signs on for 'Mother’s Day'
- 'Parks and Rec' alum Retta will host the 'Orphan Black' panel at Comic-Con
- Original Mickey Mouse Club to reunite at Disney's D23
- Apple's appeal denied in ebook antitrust case
- 'Creed': Watch the first trailer for the 'Rocky' spinoff
- Apple's Beats 1 radio will be censoring music
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!