The title turns out to be a tell: Lederer maintains a frustrating emotional opacity as she plays a memoirist’s hand about growing up as a Jewish faculty kid at a WASPy New Hampshire boarding school. She writes about her hard-drinking mother who split to be an actress in New York, and about her poker-stud brother who moved to Las Vegas for the action, and the sister who followed to do the same, trailed, eventually, by the author, too – a disjointed family held together by a mania for Lady Luck. A poet, Lederer has a professional eye for descriptive detail but tends to fold rather than reveal her feelings about the colorful deck of stories life has dealt her.
Poker Face: A Girlhood Among Gamblers The title turns out to be a tell: Lederer maintains a frustrating emotional opacity as she plays a memoirist's hand about growing up as a Jewish...Poker Face: A Girlhood Among GamblersNonfictionKaty Lederer The title turns out to be a tell: Lederer maintains a frustrating emotional opacity as she plays a memoirist's hand about growing up as a Jewish...2003-08-15
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Katy Lederer
Posted August 15 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Netflix explains why they didn't rescue 'Agent Carter'
- WATCH: Jimmy Kimmel joins the 'Mr. Robot' team
- Will Smith raps 'Miami' at 'Suicide Squad' block party
- What to Watch: A cappella teams fight it out on 'Sing It On'
- 'American Horror Story' teasers released on Snapchat
- 'Black Mirror' casts 'Game of Thrones' actor, sets premiere date
- 'Arrested Development' may 'pull back' on Trump jokes in season 5
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels