The title turns out to be a tell: Lederer maintains a frustrating emotional opacity as she plays a memoirist’s hand about growing up as a Jewish faculty kid at a WASPy New Hampshire boarding school. She writes about her hard-drinking mother who split to be an actress in New York, and about her poker-stud brother who moved to Las Vegas for the action, and the sister who followed to do the same, trailed, eventually, by the author, too – a disjointed family held together by a mania for Lady Luck. A poet, Lederer has a professional eye for descriptive detail but tends to fold rather than reveal her feelings about the colorful deck of stories life has dealt her.
Poker Face: A Girlhood Among Gamblers The title turns out to be a tell: Lederer maintains a frustrating emotional opacity as she plays a memoirist's hand about growing up as a Jewish...Poker Face: A Girlhood Among GamblersNonfictionKaty Lederer The title turns out to be a tell: Lederer maintains a frustrating emotional opacity as she plays a memoirist's hand about growing up as a Jewish...2003-08-15
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Katy Lederer
Posted August 15 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'Hawaii Five-0' taps Julie Benz as Chin's love interest
- The Vision: See Paul Bettany assemble the synthetic Avenger
- Simon Cowell comments on One Direction hiatus
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!