The title turns out to be a tell: Lederer maintains a frustrating emotional opacity as she plays a memoirist’s hand about growing up as a Jewish faculty kid at a WASPy New Hampshire boarding school. She writes about her hard-drinking mother who split to be an actress in New York, and about her poker-stud brother who moved to Las Vegas for the action, and the sister who followed to do the same, trailed, eventually, by the author, too – a disjointed family held together by a mania for Lady Luck. A poet, Lederer has a professional eye for descriptive detail but tends to fold rather than reveal her feelings about the colorful deck of stories life has dealt her.
Poker Face: A Girlhood Among Gamblers The title turns out to be a tell: Lederer maintains a frustrating emotional opacity as she plays a memoirist's hand about growing up as a Jewish...Poker Face: A Girlhood Among GamblersNonfictionKaty Lederer The title turns out to be a tell: Lederer maintains a frustrating emotional opacity as she plays a memoirist's hand about growing up as a Jewish...2003-08-15
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Katy Lederer
Posted August 15 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Valerie Harper hospitalized before performance in Maine
- NBC wants Beyonce for The Wiz (but there is no deal)
- 10 retro love song suggestions from breakout blues star Anderson East
- This is what it looks like when 1,000 people cover Foo Fighters' 'Learn To Fly'
- Caption this: Your best responses to our cheeky 'Walking Dead' photo
- Kurt Russell western 'Bone Tomahawk' chosen as Fantastic Fest closing night film
- See EWwy campaign posters for the best comedic actress nominees
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!