The title turns out to be a tell: Lederer maintains a frustrating emotional opacity as she plays a memoirist’s hand about growing up as a Jewish faculty kid at a WASPy New Hampshire boarding school. She writes about her hard-drinking mother who split to be an actress in New York, and about her poker-stud brother who moved to Las Vegas for the action, and the sister who followed to do the same, trailed, eventually, by the author, too – a disjointed family held together by a mania for Lady Luck. A poet, Lederer has a professional eye for descriptive detail but tends to fold rather than reveal her feelings about the colorful deck of stories life has dealt her.
Poker Face: A Girlhood Among Gamblers The title turns out to be a tell: Lederer maintains a frustrating emotional opacity as she plays a memoirist's hand about growing up as a Jewish...Poker Face: A Girlhood Among GamblersNonfictionKaty Lederer The title turns out to be a tell: Lederer maintains a frustrating emotional opacity as she plays a memoirist's hand about growing up as a Jewish...2003-08-15
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Katy Lederer
Posted August 15 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- ‘Hocus Pocus’ stage show will haunt Disney World this Halloween
- Young Thug wants to call his next mixtape 'Carter V'
- Former Girls frontman Christopher Owens drops new album
- 'Pawn Sacrifice' trailer shows Bobby Fischer's greatest struggles
- Mariah and me(?!) on stage in Las Vegas: Tweet dreams are made of this...
- Ask the Critic: Chris Nashawaty wants to hear from YOU about movies
- 'Marriage Boot Camp' welcomes... Jeff and Jordan from 'Big Brother?'
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Lady Gaga, The Rock, Demi Lovato & More!